VBA - Application-defined or object-defined error

CC268

I know I must be missing something silly here. I keep getting the error message, "Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error" on the bolded line below. Can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Code:
Sub EEE_Reformat()

Dim wb1 As Workbook
  Dim cell1 As Range, rng1 As Range, cell2 As Range, rng2 As Range
  Dim Cel As Range
  Dim Sht1 As Worksheet
  Dim Sht2 As Worksheet

Set wb1 = ThisWorkbook

Set Sht1 = wb1.Sheets("Sheet1")
  Set Sht2 = wb1.Sheets("Sheet2")

Set Cel = Sht1.Range("A2")
  Set rng1 = Range(Cel, Cel.Offset(Sht1.Cells.Rows.Count - Cel.Row, 0).End(xlUp))
  Set Cel = Sht2.Range("A2")
  Set rng2 = Range(Cel, Cel.Offset(Sht2.Cells.Rows.Count - Cel.Row, 0).End(xlUp))

[COLOR=#ff0000][B]  If Sht1.Cells(i, 13) = "" Then[/B][/COLOR]  'if current cell in column 13 is empty then...
    For Each cell2 In rng2        'for each cell in range 2 defined above (column A in Sheet2)...
      For Each cell1 In rng1      'for each cell in range 1 defined above (column A in Sheet1)...
        If cell2.Value = cell1.Value And cell2.Offset(0, -5) = cell1.Offset(0, -1).Value Then   'if the value of cell2 equals the value of cell1 AND the value of cell2 (offset by 5 columns) equals the value of cell1 (offset by 1 columns) then...
          cell1.Offset(0, -12).Value = cell2.Offset(0, 1).Value    'from to Sheet1 column B to Sheet2 column M
          cell1.Offset(0, -13).Value = cell2.Offset(0, 2).Value    'from to Sheet1 column C to Sheet2 column N
          Exit For
        End If
      Next
    Next
  End If

End Sub

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
What is the value of "i"?
Where have you defined it and set it equal to anything?

Upvote 0
You never assigned i a value, so it's being treated as 0 and you can't have row 0.

Upvote 0
What is the value of "i"?
Where have you defined it and set it equal to anything?

I changed it to the following, but now I get the same error on a few lines down

Code:
Sub EEE_Reformat()

Dim wb1 As Workbook
  Dim Cel As Range
  Dim Sht1 As Worksheet
  Dim Sht2 As Worksheet

Set wb1 = ThisWorkbook

For i = 2 To 2500
  If Sht1.Cells(i, 13) = "" Then  'if current cell in column 13 is empty then...
    For Each cell2 In rng2        'for each cell in range 2 defined above (column A in Sheet2)...
      For Each cell1 In rng1      'for each cell in range 1 defined above (column A in Sheet1)...
      [COLOR=#ff0000][B]  If cell2.Value = cell1.Value And cell2.Offset(i, -5) = cell1.Offset(i, -1).Value Then[/B][/COLOR]   'if the value of cell2 equals the value of cell1 AND the value of cell2 (offset by 5 columns) equals the value of cell1 (offset by 1 columns) then...
          cell1.Offset(i, -12).Value = cell2.Offset(i, 1).Value    'from to Sheet1 column B to Sheet2 column M
          cell1.Offset(i, -13).Value = cell2.Offset(i, 2).Value    'from to Sheet1 column C to Sheet2 column N
          Exit For
        End If
      Next
    Next
  End If
Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
Try adding this error debugging code, and let us what message is returned, and what the values are in those two cells:
Code:
Sub EEE_Reformat()

Dim wb1 As Workbook
  Dim Cel As Range
  Dim Sht1 As Worksheet
  Dim Sht2 As Worksheet

Set wb1 = ThisWorkbook

On Error GoTo err_chk
For i = 2 To 2500
        If cell2.Value = cell1.Value And cell2.Offset(i, -5) = cell1.Offset(i, -1).Value Then   'if the value of cell2 equals the value of cell1 AND the value of cell2 (offset by 5 columns) equals the value of cell1 (offset by 1 columns) then...
          cell1.Offset(i, -12).Value = cell2.Offset(i, 1).Value    'from to Sheet1 column B to Sheet2 column M
          cell1.Offset(i, -13).Value = cell2.Offset(i, 2).Value    'from to Sheet1 column C to Sheet2 column N
          Exit For
        End If
      Next
    Next
  End If
Next
On Error GoTo 0

Exit Sub

err_chk:
    MsgBox "Error when cell1 address is " & cell1.Address & " cell2 address is " & cell2.Address

End Sub

Upvote 0
You can't offset to the left of column A.

Perhaps you should just explain what you're trying to do?

Upvote 0
Both rng1 & rng2 are column A so you cannot offset to the left.
Should the -5 & -1 be just 5 & 1, ie columns F & B

Upvote 0
You can't offset to the left of column A.

Perhaps you should just explain what you're trying to do?

Sorry...I modified this code from something I previously did and I don't do much VBA. I basically have two Excel sheets populated with data. I'm trying to take the Part Number and Next Higher Part Number in Columns A and B of Sheet 1 and look for those in Columns A and F of Sheet 2 (the values in Sheet 1 and Sheet2 could be in completely different rows). If the two match then I want it to pull over data from Sheet 2 to Sheet 1 (e.g. pull the data in Column B in Sheet 2 to Column M in Sheet 1).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try adding this error debugging code, and let us what message is returned, and what the values are in those two cells:
Code:
Sub EEE_Reformat()

Dim wb1 As Workbook
  Dim Cel As Range
  Dim Sht1 As Worksheet
  Dim Sht2 As Worksheet

Set wb1 = ThisWorkbook

On Error GoTo err_chk
For i = 2 To 2500
        If cell2.Value = cell1.Value And cell2.Offset(i, -5) = cell1.Offset(i, -1).Value Then   'if the value of cell2 equals the value of cell1 AND the value of cell2 (offset by 5 columns) equals the value of cell1 (offset by 1 columns) then...
          Exit For
        End If
      Next
    Next
  End If
Next
On Error GoTo 0

Exit Sub

err_chk:
    MsgBox "Error when cell1 address is " & cell1.Address & " cell2 address is " & cell2.Address

End Sub

Thanks it came with $A$2 and $A$2. Makes sense I had the offset wrong. I'm thinking this code structure isn't going to work for what I am trying to accomplish though. Not sure exactly how to go about it. (See response above to Rory)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kuldeep90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back