VBA - Assigning a variable to a dynamic cell value

raivyne

I am working in Microsoft Excel 2010 and attempting to code part a larger macro where I need to take the A cell value of one worksheet and filter another worksheet for that value. The hitch is that i need to do this multiple times over a dynamic number of rows. (Once I work out the autofilter portion, I will be doing more with each iteration of the loop).

I keep getting a compile error (Object Required) on the variable that i am attempting to assign to the current cell value (Red Text below).

Code:
Dim anum As String
Dim tick As String

Set R1 = Intersect(sh1.Range("F:F"), sh1.UsedRange)   'this will be used later in the loop
Set R2 = Intersect(sh4.Range("A:B"), sh4.UsedRange)

For rc2 = R2.Count To 2 [B][COLOR=#800080]Step [/COLOR][/B]-1

[B][COLOR=#ff0000]Set anum = Cells(rc2, 1).Value
[/COLOR][/B] 
    sh1.Select
    ActiveSheet.Range("F1").AutoFilter Field:=6, Criteria1:=anum

Next

I have also tried removing the variable element, using the below code (resulting in a Run-time '1004': Method 'Range' of object '_Worksheet' failed - on the line in Red below):

Code:
Set R1 = Intersect(sh1.Range("F:F"), sh1.UsedRange)
Set R2 = Intersect(sh4.Range("A:A"), sh4.UsedRange)

For rc2 = R2.Count To 2 Step -1

sh1.Activate
[COLOR=#ff0000][B] ActiveSheet.Range("F1").AutoFilter Field:=6, Criteria1:=sh4.Range(rc2, 1).Value
[/B][/COLOR] 
Next

i'm sure it doesn't like that i'm trying to call a value from the non-active sheet... but i am at a complete loss as to how to get around this issue.

I have also tried assigning anum As Long and As Integer, but that does not work either.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to assign a variable to the value of the A cell in the current Step of a For... Next... loop?

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
I also tried assigning anum As Long and As Integer, but I am still getting the same error. I mentioned that above, but it was at the bottom.

Upvote 0
Well, I feel enormously foolish right now. Thanks so much. I've been racking my brain on this for a week now... I should have posted sooner, but I try to avoid bothering people with my VBA inadequacies... Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back