VBA Assistance - Conditional calculation

Peter Muller

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Experts,

I desperately need help to finish a task I am busy with, which stems from my previous post.

I require VBA coding for the following:

Column’s B-E is populated daily, below the last entry the previous day. The # of entries for the day will vary, dependent on certain criteria. The last entry for the day will always be “Summary”, which is pasted into Column D.

In my example below, Row 9 is the sum row for the previous day, and rows 10-14 are the pasted rows for the new day.

The formula in Col F should thus read:

Previous Day
F9) =IF($G9="Yes",H9,IF(G9="No",0,IF(G9="Sum",SUM(F$6:F9)/SUM(H$6:H9))))

New Day
F10) =IF($G10="Yes",H10,IF(G10="No",0,IF(G10="Sum",SUM(F$10:F10)/SUM(H$10:H10))))
F11) =IF($G11="Yes",H11,IF(G11="No",0,IF(G11="Sum",SUM(F$10:F11)/SUM(H$10:H11))))
F12) =IF($G12="Yes",H12,IF(G12="No",0,IF(G12="Sum",SUM(F$10:F12)/SUM(H$10:H12))))
F13) =IF($G13="Yes",H13,IF(G13="No",0,IF(G13="Sum",SUM(F$10:F13)/SUM(H$10:H13))))
F14) =IF($G14="Yes",H14,IF(G14="No",0,IF(G14="Sum",SUM(F$10:F14)/SUM(H$10:H14))))

BCDEFGH
ProjectCategoryDescriptionDatescoreCompletedWeightDetails/Formula in Col F
9PM ScoreSummaryFri 22/0576%=IF($G9="Yes",H9,IF(G9="No",0,IF(G9="Sum",SUM(F$6:F9)/SUM(H$6:H9))))
10FinancePetty CashReconcilliationMon 25/055Yes5=IF($G10="Yes",H10,IF(G10="No",0,IF(G10="Sum",SUM(F$10:F10)/SUM(H$10:H10))))
11FinancePetty CashReplenish cashMon 25/055Yes5=IF($G11="Yes",H11,IF(G11="No",0,IF(G11="Sum",SUM(F$10:F11)/SUM(H$10:H11))))
12HRT&ARegisters monitoredMon 25/050No2=IF($G12="Yes",H12,IF(G12="No",0,IF(G12="Sum",SUM(F$10:F12)/SUM(H$10:H12))))
13HRT&ALate & Absent actionedMon 25/05FALSE2=IF($G13="Yes",H13,IF(G13="No",0,IF(G13="Sum",SUM(F$10:F13)/SUM(H$10:H13))))
14PM ScoreSummaryMon 25/050Sum=IF($G14="Yes",H14,IF(G14="No",0,IF(G14="Sum",SUM(F$10:F14)/SUM(H$10:H14))))

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
try this code:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
' define double quotes character
tt = Chr(34)
'=IF($G10="Yes",H10,IF(G10="No",0,IF(G10="Sum",SUM(F$10:F10)/SUM(H$10:H10))))
lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
' load colummn D and F into variant arrays

inarr = Range(Cells(1, 4), Cells(lastrow, 4))
outarr = Range(Cells(1, 6), Cells(lastrow, 6))
sumrow = 2

For i = 2 To lastrow

If inarr(i, 1) = "Summary" Then
  ' reset count
  sumrow = i
End If
outarr(i, 1) = "=IF($G" & i & "=" & tt & "Yes" & tt & ",H" & i & ",IF(G" & i & "=" & tt & "No" & tt & " ,0,IF(G" & i & "=" & tt & " Sum" & tt & ",SUM(F$" & sumrow & ":F" & i & ")/SUM((H$" & sumrow & ":H" & i & ")))))"
Next i
Range(Cells(1, 6), Cells(lastrow, 6)) = outarr

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
try this code:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
tt = Chr(34)

sumrow = 2

For i = 2 To lastrow

' reset count
  sumrow = i
End If
outarr(i, 1) = "=IF($G" & i & "=" & tt & "Yes" & tt & ",H" & i & ",IF(G" & i & "=" & tt & "No" & tt & " ,0,IF(G" & i & "=" & tt & " Sum" & tt & ",SUM(F$" & sumrow & ":F" & i & ")/SUM((H$" & sumrow & ":H" & i & ")))))"
Next i

End Sub

Thank you for your assist - i am completely lost, cannot get it to work, been trying for hours.

i may be defining my variables incorrectly, also getting this error message

1590398849583.png

Upvote 0
Try it without declaring any variables and without option explicit, and then put a break point in and look at the locals window to see what the variables actually are, then you can declare like that if you want to.

Upvote 0
Try it without declaring any variables and without option explicit, and then put a break point in and look at the locals window to see what the variables actually are, then you can declare like that if you want to.

Nope, still not working for me.

the other code was written for me, and after trying to make sense of it, I am still baffled, so trying to integrate your code is just not working, despite following your suggestions.

Any chance you can have a look at integrating your code with the rest of the code which performs all of the other transactions or am i asking/expecting too much?

Upvote 0
I don't know what your other code is but there must be some misunderstanding that i have made, but try, :
open a blank workbook
put any character e.g T into cell A1 and copy down to A20, put "Summary" into D2 and into D9 , then run the code that I posted it will write the equations that you asked for into column F
I have annotated my code with more comments:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
tt = Chr(34)
' this works out what the last row is by looking at column A, this could be the problem chage it to another column
' these tow lines load column D and column F into varaint arrays
' this initialises the start of the sum row
sumrow = 2
' this loops through all the rows as determined by checking for values in column A
For i = 2 To lastrow
' this checks if column D has the workd Summary on this row
  'if so we reset the sum start row reset count
  sumrow = i
End If
' this writes the required equatiosn into the output array. remember tt is a double quote constant
Next i
' after the loop we writethe variatn array back to column F

End Sub

Upvote 0
I don't know what your other code is but there must be some misunderstanding that i have made, but try, :
open a blank workbook
put any character e.g T into cell A1 and copy down to A20, put "Summary" into D2 and into D9 , then run the code that I posted it will write the equations that you asked for into column F
VBA Code:
Sub test()
tt = Chr(34)
' this works out what the last row is by looking at column A, this could be the problem chage it to another column
sumrow = 2
' this loops through all the rows as determined by checking for values in column A
For i = 2 To lastrow
  sumrow = i
End If
' this writes the required equatiosn into the output array. remember tt is a double quote constant
Next i

End Sub

Great, this is working.

thank you so much, I appreciate your patience and assistance.

:giggle: ? (y)

Upvote 0
open a blank workbook
VBA Code:
Sub test()
tt = Chr(34)
sumrow = 2
For i = 2 To lastrow
  sumrow = i
End If
Next i

End Sub

Good morning,

Is it possible to modify your code that the calculation in col D does not calculate from F$2 until the last row, but only for the relevant section for the day? in this case it would be F$1:F2 because “Summary” is in D2, then the next calc must be between F$3:F9 because “Summary” is in D9, and so on.

The calculation if Col F must therefore not run from F2 every time, but only for the rows added for the day, which is between 1 row down from “Summary” in col D till the next row with “Summary” in col D.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back