VBA button macro to update database workbook from another workbook

jonobono8888

Hi All

I have a large table in my main database workbook (“Main Database”) - worksheet named "G-XXX Material Database", which contains material codes, material properties, manufacturers, etc (Columns A-L), starting from row 3 (headers are in row 3, all the data is in a filter below that). This table was copied from another workbook (“G-Codes”) in the same folder directory.

Ideally, I’d like an “Update” button macro on my “Main Database” workbook (positioned in Cell C1) which would look at the “G-Codes” workbook table, see if there were any differences and copy and/or replace them over to my “Main Database” workbook (keeping all the same formatting as the “G-Codes” workbook).

For “G-Codes” workbook:
  • The Table is in exactly the same position as in the “Main Database”. I.e. Headers for the table are in row 3, with all the data below it. Number of columns go from A to L. Worksheet name is called “Gxxx Material data base”
  • Additionally – once things have been updated, I’d like the date at which it was updated to be published in cell B1 of “Main Database”, as well as a pop-up message saying that the table was updated successfully. I don’t want anything to happen to the “G-Codes” file at all.

I had a search around for other codes which copies data over from once workbook to another, but I couldn't find anything which checks for consistency and just replaces anything bad. Most duplicating macros just put another row below or paste it in a different sheet elsewhere which I don't want.

If someone could help me with this I'd be super grateful! Thank you! If you need more information, please let me know and I'll try and be as descriptive as possible.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi Jono,
I may be wrong but if you say
"see if there were any differences and copy and/or replace them over to my “Main Database” workbook (keeping all the same formatting as the “G-Codes” workbook)"
This looks just like delete values in Main Database, copy G-Codes all records, and paste values in Main Database to preserve cell formatting
I dont see any difficulty in this, you could even do it with the record macro option
Cheers
Sergio

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back