VBA: Change a random tablename and useraction to a formula

Want2BExcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I can't figure out how to make this work without manually interaction in the code before every run.
The reason is these two main problems. Marked MAIN PROBLEM #1 and #2 at the bottom of the code (specific the part in BOLD, because they change al the time)

#1 ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Budget_TEMPLATE25").Name = [A1]
#2 ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-1]C+Budgetkonto_2024[@December])"

.....but I've also commented two small problems that I'm trying to figure out, so if anybody have a solution for those, don't hold back :) The macro works despite of these!!!!

VBA Code:
Sub New_Year()

‘ 
Sheets("Budget_TEMPLATE").Select
Sheets("Budget_TEMPLATE").Copy Before:=Sheets(2)
Sheets("Budget_TEMPLATE (2)").Select
' SMALL PROBLEM #2 It annoys me, that the sheets are placed backwards, e.g. Budgetkonto_2024-2023-2022 etc. but it's the only way I could come up with, where I don't have to 
' change the 2 in "Before:Sheets(2)" in the code. I would prefer to automate it, if it's possible. If not then maybe it could be solved ' with user-interaction, to choose, 
' where it should be placed. The sheets are always named Budgetkonto_YEAR and I would like, if they come continuously, after the previous year. 
' 
newname = InputBox("Name your sheet: Budgetkonto_YYYY")
ActiveSheet.Name = newname
' SMALL PROBLEM #1 Is it possible to make the first part, [Budgetkonto_], of the sheetname fixed, so the user only could type in a year, like 2023?
'
Range("A1").Select
ActiveCell.Value = newname
' Sets the value in cell A1 to the new sheetname, with the purpose to make the next line work.
'
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Budget_TEMPLATE25").Name = [A1]
' MAIN PROBLEM #1, I try to rename the tablename (DesignTab). But it doesn't work!!! I have to manually change this part “Budget_TEMPLATE25” or else the rest dosn't work.
' I'm looking for a way to use a random TableName OR retrieve the active TableName and using that. I'm sure the text part would never change, but the numbers in the end, could be whatever, depending
' of who's using the workbook. 
' Right now, every time I copy the sheet, it gets a different tablename, e.g. here "Budget_TEMPLATE25" etc. which generates and error, next time I run the macro, without
' changing to "Budget_TEMPLATE26" manually. 
'
Range("D107").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-1]C+Budgetkonto_2024[@December])"
' MAIN PROBLEM #2 This last line links the new year account balance, to the previous year. I don't know just yet, how this can be solved. Maybe with some kind of
' option for the user? "Which year do you want to link to?" with an option to 'choose from the available sheets e.g. "Budgetkonto_XXXX"

End Sub

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
you want to add a new sheet and sort your "Budget_Templatexx" sheets ascending?

Upvote 0
small problem 1 (without sorting the sheets)
VBA Code:
Option Compare Text

Sub Make_New_BudgetKonto()
     Dim sh    As Worksheet
     s = "Budgetkonto_"

newname = Application.InputBox("What year ?", UCase("Name your sheet: Budgetkonto_YYYY"), Year(Now), , , , , 1)     'what year with initial year=actual year
     If Application.Median(newname, 2020, 2050) <> newname Then     'check range
          MsgBox "error, wrong year": Exit Sub
     Else
          On Error Resume Next
          Set sh = Sheets(s & Format(newname, "0000"))          'check sheet exists already
          On Error GoTo 0
          If Not sh Is Nothing Then MsgBox "worksheet existst already", vbCritical: Exit Sub

i1 = 1
          For i = 1 To Worksheets.Count                         'loop through all worksheets
               shname = Worksheets(i).Name                      'name of that sheet
               If shname Like s & "####" Then                   'similar name
                    If --Right(shname, 4) > py And --Right(shname, 4) < newname Then     'greater then previous found year, but year smaller then wanted year
                         i1 = i: py = --Right(shname, 4)        'indexnumber of that sheet and year of that sheet
                    End If
               End If
          Next
     End If

Sheets("Budget_TEMPLATE").Copy after:=Sheets(i1)           'copy your template after that sheet
     With ActiveSheet
          .Name = s & newname                                   'rename sheet
          .Range("A1").Value = .Name 
          .Listobjects(1).name= .name             'rename 1st listobject of that sheet 
          .Range("D107").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-1]C+Budgetkonto_" & newname - 1 & "[@December])"     'calculated guess !!!
     End With

End Sub
if the listobject isn't the first, give me a cell within that listobject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
VBA Code:
Option Compare Text

Dim sh    As Worksheet
     s = "Budgetkonto_"

newname = Application.InputBox("What year ?", UCase("Name your sheet: Budgetkonto_YYYY"), Year(Now), , , , , 1)     'what year with initial year=actual year
     Else
          On Error Resume Next
          Set sh = Sheets(s & Format(newname, "0000"))          'check sheet exists already
          On Error GoTo 0
          If Not sh Is Nothing Then MsgBox "worksheet existst already", vbCritical: Exit Sub

i1 = 1
          For i = 1 To Worksheets.Count                         'loop through all worksheets
                    If --Right(shname, 4) > py And --Right(shname, 4) < newname Then     'greater then previous found year, but year smaller then wanted year
                         i1 = i: py = --Right(shname, 4)        'indexnumber of that sheet and year of that sheet
                    End If
               End If
          Next
     End If

Sheets("Budget_TEMPLATE").Copy after:=Sheets(i1)           'copy your template after that sheet
     With ActiveSheet
          .Range("D107").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-1]C+Budgetkonto_" & newname - 1 & "[@December])"     'calculated guess !!!
     End With

End Sub
SOLUTION to small problem #1

It works BEAUTIFUL!!!!! ? Outstanding work BSALV!
Thank you! ?

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Option Compare Text

Dim sh    As Worksheet
     s = "Budgetkonto_"

Else
          On Error Resume Next
          On Error GoTo 0

i1 = 1
                    End If
               End If
          Next
     End If

With ActiveSheet
     End With

End Sub
It does the sorting of the sheets BSALV, so it's actual SOLUTION to ALL the problems, both main problem#1 AND #2 and small problem #1 AND #2 ??BEAUTIFUL!!!
You are THE MAN BSALV!! ???

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back