VBA changing Worksheet Names from a Lookup formula (list)

MickiZ

Hi,
I'm trying to solve a problem with what I hope will be an easy fix. I manage a lab where we have to do lots of data entry for multiple tests. I create excel templates that the user (lab techs) must fill-in each template's set up page with the QA tracking ID (its' a combination of the Lab notebook,Page, & code i.e., EXP20-AA1234-A, EXP20-AA1234-B, etc.). Depending on the test method and the associated instrument, each data entry processes differ.

For one such test method, I need the template to rename the individual worksheets (tabs) used for importing the data into for each unique code. Leaving this up to the lab techs has proven problematic, in that they frequent forget to rename each tab; or they enter the wrong sample ID.

On the setup tab, I've got a formula that creates each sample name to be used; and named each of the resulting names for lookup (e.g., first generated name ="Tab_01", second generated name ="Tab_02", etc. up to Tab_25), and then I've linked each with a formula in cells A1 for each of the 25 tabs in the workbook template.

The problem is... the VBA code below only works with hard text in cell A1 but not a lookup formula. Is there some way to write the VBA code so that if the lookup value does not equal "Tab_01", etc. (for each of the 25 tabs) that it will change the sheet name to the resulting tab ID name? -or possibly be written to execute a macro to paste value(s) once it's changed?

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then
ActiveSheet.Name = ActiveSheet.Range("A1")
End If
End Sub

I'm not proficient with VBA code, so detailed solution example would be appreciated.
Thanks in advanced for any assistance.
Michele

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Welcome to the board.

I think you need to use Worksheet_Calculate for this, try:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()

ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Value

End Sub
What you were using, Worksheet_Change, only triggers when the cell contents change, i.e. why when you hard code A1

When you use a formula, the formula doesn't change, just it's result - which is what's displayed in the cell. E.g. if A1 is =X+Y, even if X and Y change, the formula doesn't not.

Comparison, person wears an outfit on day 1 then a new outfit on day 2
Your code is waiting for *the* person to change (e.g hair colour, height, weight, etc) but your expectation is "Why doesn't changing their clothes trigger the action I want?"

Hence difference between Worksheet_Change vs Worksheet_Calculate.

Upvote 0
Hi, I tried your recommendation but it still didn't work. Here's how I've setup my workbook... Spreadsheet Setup TAB has a column that's normally hidden from user called Worksheet Tab Name that defines the unique ID's required by the Test Instrument's data exporting capabilities. As shown below, the first name is called TabName_01 for the first sample condition (A). I've written the formula so that when the template and/or subsequent sample conditions are "blank", the default tab name is just the Sheet number (1-25). Each sheet is assigned the appropriate "TabName_nn". When the value is changed as shown in the second illustration (Sheet1), the TabName_01 correctly updates the A1 cell to the lookup value but the tab name did not change despite the updated VBA Code for the Worksheet_Calculate ( ).

Am I missing something in applying your suggestion to use this feature?
1586611180917.png

Upvote 0
Hi Mickiz I tried to mimic your set up as best I could, using info from this link: Dynamic Worksheet Tab Names (Microsoft Excel)

Setup
In sheet1, I named a cell TabName1 with formula "="Sheet"&Row()+20"
In sheet2, I entered "=TabName1" into A1 and this code into the worksheet object:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Set Target = Range("A1")
    If Target = "" Then Exit Sub

On Error GoTo Badname
    ActiveSheet.Name = Left$(Target.Value, 31)
    On Error GoTo 0
    Exit Sub

Badname:
    MsgBox "Invalid Sheet name", vbExclamation + vbOKCancel, "Invalid Sheet Name"

End Sub
It works whenever I select a cell on the sheet and triggers the rename.

Upvote 0
Solution
Hey ... thanks for taking the time to help me find a solution (much appreciated).

I've updated my workbook with the VBA code accordingly and it works!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back