[VBA] Chester and Chesterfield both pull through from criteria: "*Chester*" in string.

RockandGrohl

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
So close!!

Every time I add a new requested feature it seems to break something else, oh me oh my.

Explanation:

• We have a paper with a set number of pickups where tours can be selected from, say "Wrexham, Chester"
  • These pickups in the string are separated out using the comma as a delimiter, so "Wrexham" and "Chester"
  • They are then sandwiched in wildcards and used to search against the "Whole Route" of a tour, so "*Wrexham*" "*Chester*"
  • The whole route of a tour is a long string of pickups, between 5-120 pickups long, example:

Code:
Slough, Staines, High Wycombe, Oxford Services (M40), Bicester, Banbury, Warwick, Leamington Spa, Coventry, Solihull, Aylesbury, Princes Risborough, Thame, Stratford-upon-Avon, Alcester, Redditch, Bromsgrove, Sutton Coldfield, Walsall, Telford, Wellington (Shrops.), Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Wrexham

• I'm looking to gather a list of tours, where there is a match of the pickups within the whole route. Because "Wrexham" appears in that whole route string, it is a match.
  • The problem is that I am determining "*Chester*" and this will pull through "Chesterfield" "Manchester" etc

I need to find a way to match the whole word only, between commas.

The problem is that to my understanding, I need to use wildcards.

I'm putting them in a formula in column W, like this:

Code:
=SUM(COUNTIF(I2,{"*Wrexham*","*Chester*","*Blank*","*Blank*","*Blank*"}))

So I am looking down about 30,000 rows in a database for tours that have a match to any one of the five pickups in the above formula (because only two are valid, the final three are blank) I then filter down to any lines in Column W >0, and this is an example where the sum of the countif is 1

Code:
Coalville, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Swadlincote, Burton-upon-Trent, Derby, Belper, Ripley (Derbs.), Alfreton, Chesterfield, Leeming Bar Services (A1(M)), Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Wakefield, Dewsbury, Morley, Leeds, Huddersfield, Brighouse, Halifax, Bradford, Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripon

Unfortunately, you can see that Chesterfield has come in.

What this means is that adverts for tours are going in papers for CHESTER, which is not really near enough to CHESTERFIELD.

I don't really know how to solve this formulaeically and my VBA knowledge isn't advanced enough to search a specific INSTR... Can anyone help? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
re: [VBA] Chester and Chesterfield both pull through from criteria: "*Chester*" in string.

If you ensure that the string in I2 always ends in a comma, you can use
=SUM(COUNTIF(I2,{"*Wrexham,*","*Chester,*","*Blank,*","*Blank,*","*Blank,*"}))

Upvote 0
re: [VBA] Chester and Chesterfield both pull through from criteria: "*Chester*" in string.

Wouldn't that still pick up "Manchester,"?

Upvote 0

Yes, but if you add a space at the start if I2 & before each search value it should work

Upvote 0

Yes, but if you add a space at the start if I2 & before each search value it should work

So replace "," with " ," to give everything a space and append column I with a comma?

Upvote 0

Another way:

=COUNT(SEARCH({", Wrexham,",", Chester,",", Blank,",", Blank,",", Blank,"},", "&I2&","))

Array formula, enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Upvote 0

No, you need to put the space at the beginning like
SUM(COUNTIF(I2,{"* Wrexham,*","* Chester,*","* Blank,*","* Blank,*","* Blank,*"}))

Upvote 0

Another way:

=COUNT(SEARCH({", Wrexham,",", Chester,",", Blank,",", Blank,",", Blank,"},", "&I2&","))

I think this is what I'm after - looks accurate and is fast despite being an array. One question, what if "Chester" is at the end of a string, like this?

Code:
Crewe, Stafford, Lichfield, Tamworth, Sutton Coldfield, Coventry, Rugby, Making own way, Stoke-on-Trent, Uttoxeter, Burton-upon-Trent, Nuneaton, Chester

EDIT: Ok, apparently it makes no difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another way:

Trying to transpose this into VBA, the pickups are variables which change, they're assigned to "PU1" through to "PU5"

Code:
Range("W2:W" & LastrowAD).FormulaArray = "=COUNT(SEARCH({"", " & PU1 & ","","", " & PU2 & ","","", " & PU3 & ","","", " & PU4 & ","","", " & PU5 & ",""},"", ""&RC[-14]&"",""))"

However each cell is pointing to I2, it needs to point to I of the current row, which can't seem to work this out.

Fixed it, a rough way, like this:

Code:
Range("W2").FormulaArray = "=COUNT(SEARCH({"", " & PU1 & ","","", " & PU2 & ","","", " & PU3 & ","","", " & PU4 & ","","", " & PU5 & ",""},"", ""&RC[-14]&"",""))"Range("W2").Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("W2:W" & LastrowAD)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try
Code:
Range("W2").FormulaArray = "=COUNT(SEARCH({"", " & PU1 & ","","", " & PU2 & ","","", " & PU3 & ","","", " & PU4 & ","","", " & PU5 & ",""},"", ""&RC[-14]&"",""))"
Range("W2:w" & lastrowAD).FillDown

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksonashleigh99

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back