VBA - cleaning up a table of street addresses

Krekling

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello.

I've got this problem at work. I'm fairly certain that it is solvable by using VBA, and I have indeed started learning VBA. However, I realise that there's a long way before I can solve this particular problem by myself, so I hope some of you guys can help.

I've got a table of nearly 20.000 street addresses that i want to put on a map. As long as the adresses that I've got in my table follow the official spelling for that address, I know exactly how to georeference it.
The trouble is that many of the "addresses" in my list is not a single address, but a collective term for several addresses, so i need to clean this up.
The norwegian street address system is as follows: Street name - house number - (house letter) , for example "Storgata 41 a" or "Lilleveien 7".

This is what I've got:
Storgata 2OK
Storgata 3 bOK
Lilleveien 4 fOK
Storgata 5-9Should be three different rows - Storgata 5, Storgata 7, Storgata 9 (every other number, as odd numbers are on one side of the street, while even numbers are on the other side)
Lilleveien 6 a-fShould be six different rows - Lilleveien 6 a, Lilleveien 6 b, Lilleveien 6 c

What I want is a macro that recognises a hyphen , and inserts rows that contain the street name and house number for every other number in the case of "Storgata 5-9". In the case of "Lilleveien 6 a-f" it should insert rows containing the street name, house number and house letter for all of the six letters a, b, c, d, e, f.

This is what I want:
Storgata 2
Storgata 3 b
Lilleveien 4 f
Storgata 5
Storgata 7
Storgata 9
Lilleveien 6 a
Lilleveien 6 b
Lilleveien 6 c
Lilleveien 6 d
Lilleveien 6 e
Lilleveien 6 f

I would appreciate any help on this.
Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
perhaps to soon to introduce a dictionary ??
Your data is in a table named "TBL_Addresses" in column A
VBA Code:
Sub NorvegianStreets()
     Set dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")            'make a dictionary

With Range("TBL_Addresses")
          arr = .Value                                          'read the  table "TBL_Addresses" in an array
          Set sh = .Parent                                      'the sheet that table is in
     End With

For i = 1 To UBound(arr)                                   'loop through your addresses
          If Len(arr(i, 1)) > 0 Then                            'not empty
               sp = Split(arr(i, 1))                            'split your streetname in part on the space-character (" ")
               sp2 = Split(sp(UBound(sp)), "-")                 'the last part, split that  on that character "-" (if present !)
               If UBound(sp2) <> 1 Then                         'there is not exactly 1 character "-", thus 0 or more then 1
                    dict.Add dict.Count, arr(i, 1)              'just add to the dictionary
               Else                                             'there is 1! "-" character in the last part of your address
                    If IsNumeric(sp2(0)) Then                   'is the first part of that last part numberic like 1-10
                         For j = sp2(0) To sp2(1)               'loop between min and max
                              sp(UBound(sp)) = j
                              dict.Add dict.Count, Join(sp)
                         Next

Else                                        'that last part of your address is not numeric, thus like "a-f"
                         If Len(sp(UBound(sp))) = 3 Then        'must have length 3 !!!
                              For j = Asc(LCase(sp2(0))) To Asc(LCase(sp2(1)))     'loop through the ASCII-codes (lcase !!! for problems like A-f)
                                   sp(UBound(sp)) = Chr(j)
                              Next

Else                                   'last part not exact 3 long
                              dict.Add dict.Count, arr(i, 1)    'just add to the dictionary
                         End If

End If

End If
          End If
     Next

With sh.Columns(3)                                         'output to column C
          .ClearContents                                        'clear
          If dict.Count Then .Range("C1").Resize(dict.Count).Value = Application.Transpose(dict.items)     'write dictionary to column C
          .AutoFit                                              'adjust columnwidth
     End With

End Sub

xxxxxxxx.xlsx
ABC
1nameStorgata 2
2Storgata 2Storgata 3 b
3Storgata 3 bLilleveien 4 f
4Lilleveien 4 fStorgata 5
5Storgata 5-9Storgata 6
6Lilleveien 6 a-fStorgata 7
7Storgata 8
8Storgata 9
9Lilleveien 6 a
10Lilleveien 6 b
11Lilleveien 6 c
12Lilleveien 6 d
13Lilleveien 6 e
14Lilleveien 6 f
Blad2

Upvote 0
Solution
perhaps to soon to introduce a dictionary ??
Your data is in a table named "TBL_Addresses" in column A
VBA Code:
Sub NorvegianStreets()
     Set dict = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")            'make a dictionary

With Range("TBL_Addresses")
          arr = .Value                                          'read the  table "TBL_Addresses" in an array
          Set sh = .Parent                                      'the sheet that table is in
     End With

For i = 1 To UBound(arr)                                   'loop through your addresses
          If Len(arr(i, 1)) > 0 Then                            'not empty
               sp = Split(arr(i, 1))                            'split your streetname in part on the space-character (" ")
               sp2 = Split(sp(UBound(sp)), "-")                 'the last part, split that  on that character "-" (if present !)
               If UBound(sp2) <> 1 Then                         'there is not exactly 1 character "-", thus 0 or more then 1
                    dict.Add dict.Count, arr(i, 1)              'just add to the dictionary
               Else                                             'there is 1! "-" character in the last part of your address
                    If IsNumeric(sp2(0)) Then                   'is the first part of that last part numberic like 1-10
                         For j = sp2(0) To sp2(1)               'loop between min and max
                              sp(UBound(sp)) = j
                         Next

Else                                        'that last part of your address is not numeric, thus like "a-f"
                         If Len(sp(UBound(sp))) = 3 Then        'must have length 3 !!!
                              For j = Asc(LCase(sp2(0))) To Asc(LCase(sp2(1)))     'loop through the ASCII-codes (lcase !!! for problems like A-f)
                                   sp(UBound(sp)) = Chr(j)
                              Next

Else                                   'last part not exact 3 long
                              dict.Add dict.Count, arr(i, 1)    'just add to the dictionary
                         End If

End If

End If
          End If
     Next

With sh.Columns(3)                                         'output to column C
          .ClearContents                                        'clear
          If dict.Count Then .Range("C1").Resize(dict.Count).Value = Application.Transpose(dict.items)     'write dictionary to column C
          .AutoFit                                              'adjust columnwidth
     End With

End Sub

xxxxxxxx.xlsx
ABC
1nameStorgata 2
2Storgata 2Storgata 3 b
3Storgata 3 bLilleveien 4 f
4Lilleveien 4 fStorgata 5
5Storgata 5-9Storgata 6
6Lilleveien 6 a-fStorgata 7
7Storgata 8
8Storgata 9
9Lilleveien 6 a
10Lilleveien 6 b
11Lilleveien 6 c
12Lilleveien 6 d
13Lilleveien 6 e
14Lilleveien 6 f
Blad2
Thank you, and sorry for taking ages to reply. This solution works perfectly! Now I'll just have to get my head around why it works, so I can modify and use it on other similar, but not identical problems.

Again, thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back