VBA - Clear Duplicates and merge them by column // Empty cells should be ignored

BorisTheCat84

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Team,

I'm looking for a VBA Code that will clear duplicates by column (Column A, B & H) and merge the cleared cells.
If in the column there is empty rows, they should be ignored and not merged.
Can someone help me with the code?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I guess helpers here need samples with some explanation for clearer picture

Upvote 0
Hi Team,
Apologies for the late reply but i had to gather the entire case scenario in order to narrow it properly.

Here is what's required:
Mr. Excel Version.xlsx
ABCDEFGH
1FruitCountryTypeShapeLengthWeightSugarColor
2AppleFranceMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
3AppleFranceMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
4AppleGermanyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
5Apple?MINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
6?MINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnRed
7Cherry?Whatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnRed
8SwitzerlandSTANDARDWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this column
9OrangeSwitzerlandMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnOrange
10OrangeSwitzerlandMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnOrange
11BananaGermanyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnYellow
12StrawberryGermanyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnRed
13BananaItalyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnYellow
14BananaItalyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
Sheet2

Column A should look for all duplicates in its cells and merge them on a condition that the content of the cells in Column B at the same row level can also be merged.

Column H should also look for all duplicates in its cells and merge them on a condition that Column A and Column B had cells that were merged at the same row level.

Below is the expected output (how the result should be):
FruitCountryTypeShapeLengthWeightSugarColor
AppleFranceMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
MINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this column
AppleGermanyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
Apple?MINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen
?MINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnRed
Cherry?Whatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnRed
SwitzerlandSTANDARDWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this column
OrangeSwitzerlandMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnOrange
MINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this column
BananaGermanyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnYellow
StrawberryGermanyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnRed
BananaItalyMINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnYellow
MINORWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnWhatsoever value nothing should be done in the cells of this columnGreen

Hope this is clear now, your help will be truly appreciated in having the VBA Code for it.

Cheers,
Boris

Upvote 0
I kinda threw this together. Does this do what you meant?

Code:
Sub SpecMerge()
Dim lr As Long, i As Long, ct As Long
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
' helper column
For i = 3 To lr
 Cells(i, "J") = Cells(i, "A") & Cells(i, "B")
Next i
 i = 3
Again:
 ct = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("J3:J" & lr), Cells(i, "A") & Cells(i, "B"))
 If ct > 1 Then
  Range("A" & i + 1 & ":B" & i - 1 + ct).ClearContents
  Range("A" & i & ":A" & i - 1 + ct).Merge
  Range("B" & i & ":B" & i - 1 + ct).Merge
  Range("H" & i + 1 & ":H" & i - 1 + ct).ClearContents
  Range("H" & i & ":H" & i - 1 + ct).Merge
  i = i + ct
  If i < lr Then
  GoTo Again
  Else
  End If
 Else
 i = i + 1
 If i < lr Then
 GoTo Again
 End If
 End If
  Range("H:H").VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
 ' remove helper column
 Columns("J").EntireColumn.Delete
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
I kinda threw this together. Does this do what you meant?

Code:
Sub SpecMerge()
Dim lr As Long, i As Long, ct As Long
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
' helper column
For i = 3 To lr
Next i
 i = 3
Again:
 ct = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("J3:J" & lr), Cells(i, "A") & Cells(i, "B"))
 If ct > 1 Then
  Range("A" & i + 1 & ":B" & i - 1 + ct).ClearContents
  Range("A" & i & ":A" & i - 1 + ct).Merge
  Range("B" & i & ":B" & i - 1 + ct).Merge
  Range("H" & i + 1 & ":H" & i - 1 + ct).ClearContents
  Range("H" & i & ":H" & i - 1 + ct).Merge
  i = i + ct
  If i < lr Then
  GoTo Again
  Else
  End If
 Else
 i = i + 1
 If i < lr Then
 GoTo Again
 End If
 End If
  Range("H:H").VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
 ' remove helper column
 Columns("J").EntireColumn.Delete
End Sub
It's not working on A2 A3 // B2 B3 & H2 H3 (they are supposed to merge)

Upvote 0
It's not working on A2 A3 // B2 B3 & H2 H3 (they are supposed to merge)
Done worked, slight adjustment:

VBA Code:
For i = 2 To lr
Next i
 i = 2
Again:
 ct = WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("J2:J" & lr), Cells(i, "A") & Cells(i, "B"))

Upvote 0

@kweaver - Thank you, for now it's doing what's supposed to do :) // will let you know if a strange behavior appears :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back