VBA Code Creates Comments with Username and date/timestamp - Need Code for Cell not Comment

hask123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I found similar code online and modified it for my needs, but now would like to see if I can change this up so instead of putting the username, date and time in a note, it will place it in the next cell. I want it to track the historical edits not delete them. I still want the username to be bold. The only change is that instead of placing it in a comment in the cell, I want it to go in the immediate cell to the right (column F). Can anyone help me do this?

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim MyTargetRange As Range
    Set MyTargetRange = ActiveSheet.Range("E17:E65")

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E17:E65")) Is Nothing Then 'Change this range as appropriate.
        If Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then
            If Len(Target.Formula) > 0 Then

'If comment already exists, add a carriage return, username and timestamp to the current comment value.
                    If Not Target.Comment Is Nothing Then

With Target.Comment
                            MyString = Environ("USERNAME") & " " & Format(Now(), "ddd dd mmm yy hh:mm")
                            .Text Text:=Target.Comment.Text & Chr(10) & Environ("USERNAME") & " " & Format(Now(), "ddd dd-mmm-yy hh:mm")

With .Shape.TextFrame
                                .Characters(1, .Characters.Count).Font.Bold = False 'make the whole comment non-bold
                                '.Characters(InStrRev(Target.Comment.Text, Environ("USERNAME")), Len(Environ("USERNAME"))).Font.Bold = True 'Make Bold the LAST occurrence of USERNAME
                                .AutoSize = True
                            End With
                        End With

'If there is no comment yet, create one and add username and timestamp
                    Else

With Target
                            .AddComment
                            With .Comment
                                .Shape.AutoShapeType = msoShapeRoundedRectangle
                                .Text Text:=Environ("USERNAME") & " " & Format(Now(), "ddd dd-mmm-yy hh:mm")
                                With .Shape.TextFrame
                                     '.Characters(1, Len(Environ("USERNAME"))).Font.Bold = True
                                    .AutoSize = True
                                End With
                            End With
                        End With

End If

'Embolden each occurrence of Environ("USERNAME") in each comment in E17:E55
                    For Each cCom In ActiveSheet.Range("E17:E65").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeComments)
                        With Cells(cCom.Row, cCom.Column).Comment.Shape.TextFrame
                            For i = 1 To Len(cCom.Comment.Text) Step 1
                                If Mid(cCom.Comment.Text, i, Len(Environ("USERNAME"))) = Environ("USERNAME") Then
                                    .Characters(i, Len(Environ("USERNAME"))).Font.Bold = True
                                End If
                            Next i
                        End With
                    Next cCom

'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End If
        End If
    End If

End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi,
Your current Event macro is dealing with a string of successive comments to build a track record ...

Using only Target.Offset(0,1) will actually erase all previous data and only keep the latest info...

Upvote 0
Hi,
Your current Event macro is dealing with a string of successive comments to build a track record ...

Using only Target.Offset(0,1) will actually erase all previous data and only keep the latest info...
I'm hoping to continue to track and continue to have the string, but instead of in the comments, I want it to populate and track it in the next cell. Is that possible?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back