VBA code for a comment tracker on a userform

orion78276

Hello. Can you please help me find a way to write code so when one enters data in a textbox and clicks a button, it goes to a rolling comment tracker like the image below?

- Ideally I would like to view the comments in the sequence they were entered.
- Do you think a listbox is a good way to view them? What clever ideas do you have to display the sequence of comments?
- It would be nice to not have the comments clipped as list boxes tend to clip text as row space is limited. Can we wrap text so rows in the listbox show all the comments?
- Is a listbox advised or do you have a better recommendation?
- For the purpose of this you can assume the data is saved in the same workbook however I would be saving the data in a sheet on another workbook, so if you can provide some guidance on how to write the data to another filepath, that would be great.
- Next to each comment I would like a username, date and time stamp - therefore you can add the below code to your solution

Environ$("Username") & " - " & Now()

The below is an example of something I am looking for. Maybe instead of a listbox, the comment log can be viewed on a large textbox [the size of a userform] with a grey background and scroll bars to view all past comments?

Please let me know what smart, cool ideas you have for a comment tracker!

Thanks.

Attachments

• Sample 2 of comment tracker.JPG
    Sample 2 of comment tracker.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 74

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
This is easily doable.

I would make the comments-tracker textbox ReadOnly + vertical scrollbar.

When the userform is loaded, the userform should load the saved comments into the textbox.

I would add a button to the userform. Clicking on the button will bring up a second userform with a textbox in it where the user can type the new comment. Once typing the comment is done, the user will click a button (also on the second userform) to validate the new comment and transfer it to the comments-tracker textbox.

Upon unloading the comments-tracker userform, have some code for saving the updated textbox comments in your worksheet.

Saving the comments on a different workbook would make this "unnecessarly" more difficult.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: VBA code for a comment tracker on a userform
and VBA code for a comment tracker on a userform - OzGrid Free Excel/VBA Help Forum
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back