VBA code for adding sheet doesn't work with Workbook function

olorin_117

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

I have this code below that copies the entire sheet, renames the new one with the current date and erases the contents of certain range that works perfectly if I just run the macro. Now i would like that to work with the Workbook_NewSheet function in the workbook section of vba but all it does is. a) creates a new blank sheet with the name "Sheet2", creates another sheet with todays's date but doesn't copy anything, just a blank sheet. Am I doing something wrong?

VBA Code:
Public Sub CopyRenameSheet1()

ActiveSheet.Copy Before:=ActiveSheet
    Range("B9:H" & Range("B9").End(xlDown).Row).ClearContents
    Range("B5").ClearContents
    ActiveSheet.Name = Format(Date, "DD.MM.YYYY")

End Sub

P.S. Pretty newbie with VBA

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Welcome to the Board!

I do not know that you are going to be able to do that, unless the name of the sheet you want to copy from is static (you can code the name of the sheet into the code because it will never change).
That is because it appears that the "Workbook_NewSheet" event procedure has no recollection of what sheet you were on when you went to create the new sheet. Its only reference is to the new sheet.

Unless that sheet you are copying from is always the same, I would probably stick with what you have, and either assign the VBA code to a button or a keyboard shortcut to make it easier to run.

Upvote 0
The Workbook_NewSheet event doesn't fire when copying a worksheet.

Upvote 0
I want to answer my question since I kinda solved it but it has a problem that I'll explain later

I used the code below in the wokrbook vba object code in order to create a new worksheet, give it specific name and format and then copy the contents from a template sheet in the same workbook as suggested by user @Joe4.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_NewSheet(ByVal Sh As Object)

Sh.Move Before:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
Sh.Name = Format(Date, "DD.MM.YYYY")
Worksheets("template").Range("A1:X25").Copy

ActiveSheet.Range("a1").pastespecial Paste:=xlPasteAll
ActiveSheet.Range("a1").pastespecial Paste:=xlPasteColumnWidths
ActiveSheet.Range("B9:H" & Range("B9").End(xlDown).Row).ClearContents
ActiveSheet.Range("B5").ClearContents

Sheets(Sheets.Count - 1).Range("N25:R25").Copy 'there are certain data that, every time a new sheet is created, i want from the last production sheet
ActiveSheet.Select
ActiveSheet.Range("N25:R25").pastespecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

End Sub

But what user @Jaafar Tribak told me, and by using the above code made me understand that this is working fine ONLY if you don't have any code in the worksheet vba object part, which in my case I have. By using the above code, doesn't copy the code that I have in the worksheet object, which I need in every sheet. I know this may be obvious knowledge for more experienced users but I am kinda new.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back