VBA Code improvement

Robert.Bristow

Hello,

I am looking for advise on how to write a macro more efficiently. Being that the following macro was my first attempt at VBA I am more than pleased that it actually works but now I need to complete another project that will use almost the same code and I would like to make it cleaner if possible.

I cannot supply a copy of the spreadsheet as it contains PHI, but what this code is doing is combining an SSN with a relationship code and searching for that combination on a separate tab. If found it applies the name of the person to the specified cell. The code loops until it runs out of SSN's. The last 6 formulas are pulling in the person's address and client number. The over all result is that a vertical list of members (every one in our data base) is converted to a horizontal list of family members (only those as identified by SSN and relationship codes as needing letters). This data is then used as mail merge data for a variety of letters.

In the first row of the formulas I have used red text on the variables that required me to produce so many lines of code. I feel that there should be a way to code those 2 variables to work off a repeating calculation verses 20 separate static formulas but it seems to be a little past my skill level to figure out.

Sub MbrSearch()
Dim MbrMark As Integer
Dim row As Integer

' MbrSearch Macro
'
row = 2

Range("B2").Select
Do Until Selection.Value = ""
Range("v" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("w" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,2,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("x" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,3,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("y" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,4,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("z" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,5,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("aa" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,6,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ab" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,7,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ac" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,8,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ad" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,9,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ae" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,10,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("af" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,11,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ag" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,12,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ah" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,13,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ai" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,14,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("aj" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,15,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ak" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,16,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("al" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,17,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("am" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,18,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("an" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,19,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ao" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,20,1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
Range("ap" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,3,FALSE)"
Range("aq" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,4,FALSE)"
Range("Ar" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,5,FALSE)"
Range("As" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,6,FALSE)"
Range("At" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,7,FALSE)"
Range("Au" & row).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,8,FALSE)"

row = row + 1
Range("b" & row).Select
Loop

Application.Run "FormatList"
End Sub

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Robert Bristow
Bothell WA

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
One could alter the formula slightly and use code like this.

Code:
With Range("b2")
    With Range(.Cells, .End(xlDown))
        With Application.Intersect(.EntireRow, .Parent.Range("V:Ao"))
           .FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,Columns(RC" & .Column & ":RC),1)),MILData!C2:C9,2,FALSE)"
            With .Offset(0, .Columns.Count).Resize(, 6)
                .FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(RC2&(MID(RC7,1,1)),MILData!C2:C9,COLUMNS(RC" & .Column & ":RC[2]),FALSE)"
            End With
        End With
    End With
End With

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code worked like a charm. Not only written more efficiently but it also processes about 6 times faster. Many thanks for such a fast and accurate response.

Robert Bristow

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back