VBA code or excel function to automate to-do list

quapple

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi I'm not sure if this is possible but I'll explain the situation and if anyone has tips/tricks or advice on how to move forward I would greatly appreciate it:

At work we have an excel document where to take meeting minutes and all of this text data is kept in a table.
In order to help keep track of every team members deliverables I would like to be able to search through this table, look for tasks assigned to a specific employee and populate a separate table with this employees assigned tasks, essentially creating a mini to do list for the employee.

I was thinking of using vlookup where I use it to look for where ever the employees name appears in the table however I need it to be able to return a string of text. If I made sure that everyone wrote their meeting notes in the format of "NAME to ____." where we always start the sentence with their name and always end it with a period would this allow for easy vlookup application to spit out a table full of the tasks assigned to the employee?

let me know if this is not clear at all

Kind regards

Attachments

• help.PNG
    help.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 18

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I think your proposed method is possible, but I think it would take a lot of unnecessary effort on your part. Instead, I would suggest just putting the key information in separate cells (as below). Structuring the data from the outset will make it easier for you to deal with it later. It would also make it easier to identify individuals and their tasks with VLOOKUP. If you later decide that you nonetheless want to have information listed in narrative form (as per your screen capture), you can pull together a formula like the one I have in the example below to then reproduce it into a full sentence.

Find Movies with Speech.xlsm
DEFGH
3NameTaskDue Date
4JackLeave5/23Jack to leave by 5/23
5LanaProvide support5/25Lana to provide support by 5/25
6JackReturn5/23Jack to return by 5/23
7Lanaprovide chocolate5/25Lana to provide chocolate by 5/25
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
H4:H7H4=D4&" to "&LOWER(E4)&" by "&TEXT(F4,"m/dd")

I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Hi @quapple - did this meet your needs? If not, do let me know and I'll take another crack at it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back