VBA code to add repeat formula to each blank row

windb

Hi there,

I'm trying to add a formula into each blank row of my data set in column C. (see cell C5 on image, as an example of where the formula has populated, and cell C11 where it hasn't)

The formula in column C is a weighted sum product formula i.e. =($B3*C3)+($B4*C4)+($B5*C5), so this returns the weighted sum of the values, where B3, B4 and B5= percentage amounts
And C3, C4 and C5 are numerical values
(The sum product could also work here, I believe)

However, the issue I'm having is that each 'record' has a different number of parts, i.e. percentage amounts assigned to the record, so the calculation varies each time. E.g. Record 2 may only need to 'count' the sum product of 2 parts/ rows, whereas record 4 may have 4 parts/ rows.

I need the formula (VBA?) to insert the correct formula for each blank row all the way down. e.g. the formula on row 8 would need to be =($B6*C6)+($B7*C7) only. I could manually go down the list and amend the formulas but I have several hundred records, so just trying to consider if there is a more efficient way of doing this.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Annotation 2022-03-29 1752421.png
    Annotation 2022-03-29 1752421.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
VBA Code:
Sub copy_formula()
     Dim c     As Range

With ActiveSheet
          With .Range(.Range("A1"), .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))     'that part of the A-column
               On Error Resume Next
               Set c = .SpecialCells(xlConstants)               'all cells filled with constants (= no formulas or blank cells)
               On Error GoTo 0
               If c Is Nothing Then MsgBox "no constants", vbCritical: Exit Sub

For Each ar In c.Areas                           'loop through the blocks of such cells
                    With ar.Cells(ar.Rows.Count + 1, 1)         'next cell afther such a block
                         If WorksheetFunction.CountA(.Resize(, 2)) = 0 Then     ' A en B are empty
                              .Offset(, 2).Formula = "=sumproduct((" & ar.Offset(, 1).Address(0, 1) & ")*(" & ar.Offset(, 2).Address(0, 0) & "))"     'this formula in C
                              .Offset(, 3).Formula = "=sumproduct((" & ar.Offset(, 1).Address(0, 1) & ")*(" & ar.Offset(, 3).Address(0, 0) & "))"     'this formula in D
                         End If
                    End With
               Next
          End With
     End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
VBA Code:
Sub copy_formula()
     Dim c     As Range

With ActiveSheet
          With .Range(.Range("A1"), .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))     'that part of the A-column
               On Error Resume Next
               Set c = .SpecialCells(xlConstants)               'all cells filled with constants (= no formulas or blank cells)
               On Error GoTo 0
               If c Is Nothing Then MsgBox "no constants", vbCritical: Exit Sub

For Each ar In c.Areas                           'loop through the blocks of such cells
                    With ar.Cells(ar.Rows.Count + 1, 1)         'next cell afther such a block
                         If WorksheetFunction.CountA(.Resize(, 2)) = 0 Then     ' A en B are empty
                              .Offset(, 2).Formula = "=sumproduct((" & ar.Offset(, 1).Address(0, 1) & ")*(" & ar.Offset(, 2).Address(0, 0) & "))"     'this formula in C
                              .Offset(, 3).Formula = "=sumproduct((" & ar.Offset(, 1).Address(0, 1) & ")*(" & ar.Offset(, 3).Address(0, 0) & "))"     'this formula in D
                         End If
                    End With
               Next
          End With
     End With

End Sub
Brilliant; works a treat - thank you very much. It seems to throw up an error on the very first sum product calculation, e.g. row 5 in the example provided but not a huge issue. Just flagging in case you were interested to understand the reason for this! Really great stuff. Thanks again 'BSALV'.

Upvote 0
To exclude the headerrow with the titles, you start at the 2nd line = A2 instead of A1.
So change this line in the macro
Rich (BB code):
          With .Range(.Range("A2"), .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))     'that part of the A-column

Upvote 0
To exclude the headerrow with the titles, you start at the 2nd line = A2 instead of A1.
So change this line in the macro
Rich (BB code):
          With .Range(.Range("A2"), .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))     'that part of the A-column
Excellent. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back