VBA code to give column number based on cell value

baleshst

Board Regular
Hi,

I am using the following code, on a checkbox. However i have manually enter column number (Field:=7) below . I would request someone to adjust the below code such that it would give the column number based on the cell content. ie, find a specific word in the worksheet and provide its column number.

Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()
If CheckBox1.Value = True Then
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table1").Range.AutoFilter Field:=7, Criteria1:= _
"<>"
Else
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("Table1").Range.AutoFilter Field:=7

End If

End Sub

Hi Peter,

To begin with, thanks a lot for your help.

I made the changes you asked me to do, and it works fine, when the Union checkbox is ticked along with for example EO and YPO (it shows all line items with 'x' in both the columns ).

However, for example, if I uncheck Union but the checks on EO and YPO is still there. The unique list of EO and YPO for 'x' is not showing up (this was the original solution you had given).

So there are 2 aspects to the above
1) When i only select checkboxes without checking the Union Checkbox - it should show me the unique list between the columns (which was original solution you had given) - Currently not covered in your VBA code
2) When select checkboxes along with the Union Checkbox - It should show all 'x' in all columns selected. - Solved by you in the above vba code.

Apologies if I dint make this clear earlier.

thanks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
If I have understood correctly, then I believe that it is working for me. using your example above:
My original, unfiltered sheet
1669618359913.png

EO, YPO and Union:
1669618415216.png

Now remove the Union checkmark:
1669618480795.png

Isn't that the result that I should be getting for my sample data?

Upvote 0
Not sure what I am doing wrong.🤦‍♂️
  • Double-check all the names of your check boxes and that they match the 'click' code procedure names in the worksheet module.
  • Check that each of the check boxes is linked to the relevant worksheet cell. That is, do the correct cells change TRUE/FALSE as you check/uncheck the check box?
  • Double-check the formulas in G1 and the Union column. G1 should be counting how many TRUE values in B1:F1. Union formula should be counting how many 'x' values in the row for which the row 1 value is TRUE
If still a problem, put a Breakpoint on each CBFilter line ..
1669621271368.png

.. then as you check/uncheck a checkbox, ensure that the code stops at one of these Breakpoints then step through the rest of the code steadily with F8 and see what is happening on the worksheet. It might give a clues as to what is going wrong.

If still a problem, can you upload a sample file (any sensitive data disguised or removed) to DropBox or OneDrive or Google drive etc and provide a public shared link here?

Upvote 0
  • Double-check all the names of your check boxes and that they match the 'click' code procedure names in the worksheet module.
  • Check that each of the check boxes is linked to the relevant worksheet cell. That is, do the correct cells change TRUE/FALSE as you check/uncheck the check box?
  • Double-check the formulas in G1 and the Union column. G1 should be counting how many TRUE values in B1:F1. Union formula should be counting how many 'x' values in the row for which the row 1 value is TRUE
If still a problem, put a Breakpoint on each CBFilter line ..
View attachment 79701
.. then as you check/uncheck a checkbox, ensure that the code stops at one of these Breakpoints then step through the rest of the code steadily with F8 and see what is happening on the worksheet. It might give a clues as to what is going wrong.

If still a problem, can you upload a sample file (any sensitive data disguised or removed) to DropBox or OneDrive or Google drive etc and provide a public shared link here?
Thanks a lot Peter, I was goofing up somewhere in the codes.

Finally done, really appreciate your patience.

A friendly advise, you should start a youtube channel to train in vba, I would be your subscriber number 1

thanks a ton!!!
Balesh

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back