VBA code to run message box based on cell in column < = 1

Spartan300

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a stock sheet, and on workbook open I would like a message box to run warning the user of the items with 1 or less in stock.

I am unsure how I can reference a column and then pull in the names of the items that correspond to the 1 or less in stock.

Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
You might be better off using Conditional Formatting to indicate the level. If you loop through all of your items, your users will get real tired of who knows how many MsgBoxes popping up.

But assuming that your stock level is in column B and the item name in column A, then this will work:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_Open()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> c <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Sheets("Sheet1").Range([B2], Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp))<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> c.Value < 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> MsgBox c.Offset(, -1) & " is low on stock, please reorder.", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "Reorder Stock"<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> c<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

HTH,

Upvote 0
Hi Smitty,

Works a treat, out of interest my stock is on Sheet2, when I replaced this in the code it had the 'Runtime error '9': Subscript out of range' I replaced this with the tab name 'Stock' and it works fine. Does the tab name become the definitive reference rather than its sheet number?

Thanks very much.

Upvote 0
Yes, unless you use the sheet's index number you need to refer to it explicitly by name.

Upvote 0
As Smitty says, you can use the Index number
Code:
 For Each c In Sheet2.Range([B2], Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp))
The advantage is, that if someone decides to rename the sheet, the code will still run
lenze

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back