VBA code with Index & Match but uses a variable column and row number from a cell value

benajamingeldart

Hi,

I have managed to get the results i need to an Index & Match Search within a defined array but now want to search for a specified header and identify the column it sits in then identify a different criteria to search that returns the the row the data resides.

Then I want to use the column and row as a variable in the formula;
=INDEX(Conversion!$A$1:$ZZ$60000,MATCH(A2,Conversion!A:A,0),MATCH(E2,Conversion!$A$1:$ZZ$1,0))": Range("F2:F" & lastrow).FillDown

where A:A is replaced with a column number variable and $A$1:$ZZ1 is replaced with the row variable. This should give me a lot of flexibility to search and extract rather then know the specific ranges that would need to be chanegd each time.

The code i'm manipulating is below but not successfully;

Sub ElementQuantity()
'Inserts formula to search for element quantity from conversion sheet based on station ID and element symbol and drags down to last value in column A
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim lastrow As Long
Dim StationIDCol As Long
Dim NickelIDRow As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet

StationIDCol = Sheets("Cruise Log").Range("G1")
NickelIDRow = Sheets("Cruise Log").Range("G2")
Set ws = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Results")

lastrow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Worksheets("Conversion").Select
Range("F2") = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(ws.Range("$A$1:$zz$60000"), Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("A2").Value, ws.Cells(StationIDCol), 0), application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Range("E2").Value, ws.Cells(NickelIDRow)), 0): Sheets("Conversion").Range("F2:F" & lastrow).FillDown
End Sub

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Why not cram the formula directly into the cell

Rich (BB code):
range("F2")  =  "INDEX(Conversion!$A$1:$ZZ$60000,MATCH(A2,Conversion!" & variable1  & " ,,0),MATCH(E2,Conversion!" & variable2 & ",0))": Range("F2:F" & lastrow).FillDown

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hmm, first time I've tried the VBA code insertion option, looks a little wild but you will get the general idea.

Upvote 0
If you want to use your own formatting in the code, then you need to use the <rich/> code tags, otherwise use the <vba/> tags.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back