VBA command buttons

fvisions

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I created several macros, I then created VBA command buttons to run each macro for the end user. I had a co-worker test the excel template and he received the runtime error 438 Object doesn't support this property or method but then the macro seemed to have worked correctly. What does this error mean and what should I do so the end user does not get this error.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I'm not sure what kind if command button you used but I have found that it's always easy to insert a shape using the "Insert" menu and then assigning a macro to that shape. You can also format the shape to make it look attractive by right clicking it and clicking "Format Shape".

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what kind if command button you used but I have found that it's always easy to insert a shape using the "Insert" menu and then assigning a macro to that shape. You can also format the shape to make it look attractive by right clicking it and clicking "Format Shape".
I selected developer > Insert > active x control > command button...does that help?

Upvote 0
If there is no specific reason for using an activex control, try the method I suggested using a shape. I have never gotten an error message using a shape.

Upvote 0
If there is no specific reason for using an activex control, try the method I suggested using a shape. I have never gotten an error message using a shape.
ok so I understand you, create a shape/button instead of using active x button and assign the macro to it then have my co-worker try the template to see if he gets any error?

Upvote 0
That will work. If the error was generated by something else in your code, you will get the same error message regardless of how the macro is run. Try running your macro manually instead of clicking the activex button. Do you get the error message?

Upvote 0
That will work. If the error was generated by something else in your code, you will get the same error message regardless of how the macro is run. Try running your macro manually instead of clicking the activex button. Do you get the error message?
ok, I was hoping to remove the error due to end users seeing it. Should I be looking in another direction?

Upvote 0
Did you try running the macro manually instead of using the activex button? If you did, did the error appear? As I mentioned, the shape approach has always worked for me.

Upvote 0
Did you try running the macro manually instead of using the activex button? If you did, did the error appear? As I mentioned, the shape approach has always worked for me.
I don't receive the error but the end user does. I cannot expect them to run the macros, they only know button pushing so I was hoping to create this template and the buttons for them without an error but unfortunately for me I do not understand the error. I assumed it was because someone else was running the buttons. I had both the shape and the active x buttons tested and received and my co worker received the same error. Is it my coding that is the issue?

Upvote 0
Can you post a copy of your code? Also, which line in the code is highlighted when you click "Debug"?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back