2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
hello expert,

I m writing a code to make use of *csv file to xls in using vba,

* the file name is changed every day
ie \\abc.20221221.csv

I got a path which is variable link like \\abc.20221221.csv , how can I write the path location to execute the text to data in vba if the path is changed to \\abc.20221219.csv ?

I set the parth at row A1 in sheet 1, (vba: range ("a1").text ) but it run failure

anyone can share what is the code to make it ?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I would STRONGLY recommend using Power Query rather than VBA. First you'd need a variable to hold the date.
First, bring the file into Power Query from the Excel Data -> From Text/CSV. When asked, select the Transform button. That will bring the file into Power Query with the following M Code:
Power Query:
let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\USERID\Desktop\abc20221221.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=7, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])
in
    Source
Now, while still in the Power Query editor, in the Home tab, at the far right click New Source -> Other Sources -> Blank Query. Rename the Query1 to TodayFilename and enter this code into the address bar:
Power Query:
= Text.From( Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()) ) & Text.From( Date.Month(DateTime.LocalNow())) & Text.From(Date.Day(DateTime.LocalNow()))
Now go back to the query that pulled in the file, click on Source under Applied Steps, and change the code to:
Power Query:
= Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\USERID\Desktop\abc" & TodayFilename & ".csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=7, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])
Now do whatever changes are needed to be made to the file, and load it as a Table in a New Worksheet. Tomorrow, when the new file is available, simply go to Data -> Refresh All, and the table will load the new data.
Power Query is a VERY simple and easy to use interface, and doesn't take long to get the fundamentals. Search YouTube if you have questions on Power Query.

Upvote 0
I would STRONGLY recommend using Power Query rather than VBA. First you'd need a variable to hold the date.
First, bring the file into Power Query from the Excel Data -> From Text/CSV. When asked, select the Transform button. That will bring the file into Power Query with the following M Code:
Power Query:
let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\USERID\Desktop\abc20221221.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=7, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])
in
    Source
Now, while still in the Power Query editor, in the Home tab, at the far right click New Source -> Other Sources -> Blank Query. Rename the Query1 to TodayFilename and enter this code into the address bar:
Power Query:
= Text.From( Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow()) ) & Text.From( Date.Month(DateTime.LocalNow())) & Text.From(Date.Day(DateTime.LocalNow()))
Now go back to the query that pulled in the file, click on Source under Applied Steps, and change the code to:
Power Query:
= Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\USERID\Desktop\abc" & TodayFilename & ".csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=7, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])
Now do whatever changes are needed to be made to the file, and load it as a Table in a New Worksheet. Tomorrow, when the new file is available, simply go to Data -> Refresh All, and the table will load the new data.
Power Query is a VERY simple and easy to use interface, and doesn't take long to get the fundamentals. Search YouTube if you have questions on Power Query.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your support, I am not sure if I have followed your guild line for power query, it seems that I need to set up power query in excel, right ? or the step as shown below as you mentioned ?

1671681088936.png

Upvote 0
Your profile says you have 365 which wouldn't need the add-in. If you don't have that version, you should remove it from your profile to prevent getting advice you can't follow.
You have to download and install Microsoft Power Query for Excel.

Upvote 0
Hi

seems that a restriction from my excel to download add-in for power query, can I still use code for running csv to xls by vba ?

below is current code that I need to go in to edit the day ie 20221221, 20221222....etc to extract the csv

How can I modify the code, say I can locate A9 in excel sheet (see second screen shot) for variable day changing to extract and execute text to xls via vba ?

1671682048737.png

1671682199853.png

Upvote 0
Hi

seems that a restriction from my excel to download add-in for power query, can I still use code for running csv to xls by vba ?

below is current code that I need to go in to edit the day ie 20221221, 20221222....etc to extract the csv

How can I modify the code, say I can locate A9 in excel sheet (see second screen shot) for variable day changing to extract and execute text to xls via vba ?

View attachment 81375
View attachment 81376
Yes.

Upvote 0
Power Query is a free AddIn for Excel 2010 and 2013, and is built-in functionality from Excel 2016 onwards (where it is referred to as "Get & Transform Data").

It is a powerful yet simple way of getting, changing and using data from a broad variety of sources, creating steps which may be easily repeated and refreshed. I strongly recommend learning how to use Power Query - it's among the most powerful functionalities of Excel.

- Follow this link to learn how to install Power Query in Excel 2010 / 2013.

- Follow this link for an introduction to Power Query functionality.

- Follow this link for a video which demonstrates how to use Power Query code provided.

Upvote 0
Try.
Replace this
"TEXT; \\ ...20221220.csv" _
with this
"TEXT;" & Range("A9").Value _

PS. I suggest you use Power Query. It will be much easier.

Upvote 0
Try.
Replace this
with this

Try.
Replace this
with this

Hi HongRu,

I just tried it but seemed that was not successful, can you give me more support on this code ? thanks

1672304777342.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back