VBA Copy and Paste Vlookup to Range

avd88

Board Regular
Hello,

I have some VBA code I was using where I was looping through a range to add vlookups to a list.
I'm trying to do the same thing for a similar project but have a way larger dataset. 50k lines so it's pretty inefficient to use a loop.

I'm trying to add the formula to the first item on the list and then copy and paste the formula to the range. I did something similar to a concatenation to create the vlookup id's and it worked.
The issue I'm having is the vlookup is copying the formula but it is copying the vlookup for the first item all the way down. I need to formula to act dynamically when I copy and paste the formulas. Any idea on how to solve this?

Here is my code:

VBA Code:
'ADD VLOOKUP AND AUTOFILL QUOTA

j = Worksheets("Upload").Range("A:A").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count
c = Worksheets("Upload").Range("D:D").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count + 1

Cells(c, 4).Select
ActiveCell = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Upload").Range("K" & c), Sheets("Quota").Range("A:O"), Sheets("Upload").Range("J2"), False)
Cells(c, 4).Copy
Worksheets("Upload").Range("D" & 3 & ":D" & j).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas

Worksheets("Upload").Range("D" & 2 & ":D" & j).Copy
Worksheets("Upload").Range("D" & 2 & ":D" & j).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Do you want a formula in those cells, or just the result as a hard value?

Upvote 0
At the end I need the result as a hard value. Which is what I'm trying to do here:

VBA Code:
Worksheets("Upload").Range("D" & 2 & ":D" & j).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

Upvote 0
I take it that J2 on the upload sheets contains a number signifying which column to return?

Upvote 0
Assuming my assumption in post#4 is correct try
VBA Code:
Sub avd()
   Dim Ary As Variant, Nary As Variant
   Dim Dic As Object
   Dim c As Long, r As Long

Set Dic = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
   c = Sheets("Upload").Range("J2").Value

With Sheets("Quota")
      Ary = .Range("A1:O" & .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Value2
   End With
   For r = 1 To UBound(Ary)
      If Not Dic.Exists(Ary(r, 1)) Then Dic.Add Ary(r, 1), Ary(r, c)
   Next r
   With Sheets("Upload")
      Ary = .Range("A2", .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value2
      ReDim Nary(1 To UBound(Ary), 1 To 1)
      For r = 1 To UBound(Ary)
         If Dic.Exists(Ary(r, 1)) Then Nary(r, 1) = Dic(Ary(r, 1))
      Next r
      .Range("D2").Resize(r - 1).Value = Nary
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Yes, column J is basically a loop with numbers from 4 - 15 that repeat themselves which are the columns I need to pull data from. So I have one id and I'm pulling 12 data points (12 months of quotas).

Unfortunately it didn't work just ended up with a blank column. I'm not familiar with some of the syntax on your code so it's hard for me to identify where it's failing. My code although less elegant is almost working except for the part on where I'm trying to copy formulas it copies the formula with the first ID for the vlookup and the First Column for the vlookup all the way down.

Upvote 0
Yes, column J is basically a loop with numbers from 4 - 15
There is no mention of that in your op & no loop in your code. :confused:
except for the part on where I'm trying to copy formulas
You are not copying any formula, you are calculating one value & then pasting that in multiple rows.

To do it like your code you have no option but to loop don the rows calculating the lookup each time.

Upvote 0
Sorry if I missed some information!
Basically the vlookup is the last section of my code. At that point I have several columns the last two columns are the columns for the vlookups and the IDs for the vlookups which are being cleared once I get the hard coded values from the Vlookups on column D. Here is an image:

Vlookup Question.JPG

The code I was using below was looping through and was working but based on the data size it adds 15+ minutes to run which is pretty inefficient.

Here is the code I was using:

VBA Code:
'ADD VLOOKUP

v = Worksheets("Upload").Range("A:A").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count - 1

For i = 1 To v

c = Worksheets("Upload").Range("D:D").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count + 1

Cells(c, 4).Select
ActiveCell = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Sheets("Upload").Range("K" & c), Sheets("Quota").Range("A:O"), Sheets("Upload").Range("J" & c), False)

Next i

j = Worksheets("Upload").Range("D:D").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count

Thanks for all your replies BTW!!!

Upvote 0
Ok, roughly how many rows of data do you have on the Quota sheet & do you need to return columns 4 to 15 for every value in col K?

Upvote 0
It's a monthly upload so the data will vary but at this time I calculate 40k - 50k rows.

Correct, I have a table with quotas so I basically need to pull each month's quota for each Person / Product Combination.

So Period 1 to Period 12 for Person 1/Product A then Period 1 to Period 12 for Person 1/ Product B. Once all the products are done for that person the list starts with that logic again for Person 2.

So I'm pulling from a table like this one:

Vlookup Table.JPG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back