VBA Copy & Paste Rows into different sheet without duplicates

sylvanb

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I am very new to VBA and am having trouble finding a way to navigate this problem.

For context, I am changing a database of students from access into excel. I have a master sheet with all the students on, and then smaller sheets with which member of my team is responsible for them. Unfortunately due to Data Protection Rights I can't share any screenshots or mini-sheets.

The problem I am having is finding code that will copy entire rows based off of one columns data, but then won't duplicate the data in the sheet where it is pasted. For example, in column "CG" of the master sheet is my team members surname. I have found code that will filter by this and copy and paste to their relevant sheet, but if I run it again I end up with two copies in the destination sheet. This is an issue as we are constantly adding new students, and I want to avoid manually copying data across every time. Is there any code that will filter column "CG" by surname, copy the relevant rows, and paste it ONLY if it is a new addition? This way I could leave it to run automatically and the sheets would auto fill.

I don't know how easy this would be as well but if it could be a paste link that would be ideal...

Any help or words of advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
They are added alphabetically, but I guess they could just be added at the end and then sorted alphabetically if that makes it easier

Upvote 0
The reason I asked this was that, there could be 2 ways you can achieve your task. If new data is added at the end of your master sheet every time and no sorting is applied then try following code.

VBA Code:
Sub abc()
Dim t As Long

t = Sheets("sheet1").Range("s1").Value
If t = 0 Then t = 2

lr = Sheets("sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

With Sheets("sheet1")
    .Range("A1:N" & lr).AutoFilter field:=2, Criteria1:=Sheets("sheet1").Range("s2")
    On Error Resume Next
        If t = lr Then
            MsgBox "Data not updated."
            Sheets("sheet1").ShowAllData
            Sheets("sheet1").Range("s1") = lr
            Exit Sub
        End If

.Range("a" & t & ":n" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy

If t = lr Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

If .Range("a" & t & ":n" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible) Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Data with provided criteria not found."
        Exit Sub
    End If

End With

With Sheets("sheet2")
    .Activate
    lr2 = .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    .Range("a" & lr2 + 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats
End With

lr = ""
lr2 = ""
End Sub

The code uses your last row of data as the checkpoint, meaning, every time the code is executed it keeps a track of last row of data in sheet1 at cell S1, while using the criteria available @ cell S2 to filter the master data, and copy paste the data to sheet2. The check point ensures that non of the previous data is used while performing the copy paste operation. But again this is only possible if the data is being added at the very end of master sheet.

There are a couple of logical error handlers that check for errors like after applying the filter no data is available for provided criteria and exiting the code if new data is not available for processing, as well.

I used a sample data since you did not provide actual data to work with. you can change cell references to best suite your needs.
the sample workbook is available here.

hth....

Upvote 0
Solution
The reason I asked this was that, there could be 2 ways you can achieve your task. If new data is added at the end of your master sheet every time and no sorting is applied then try following code.

VBA Code:
Sub abc()
Dim t As Long

t = Sheets("sheet1").Range("s1").Value
If t = 0 Then t = 2

lr = Sheets("sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

With Sheets("sheet1")
    .Range("A1:N" & lr).AutoFilter field:=2, Criteria1:=Sheets("sheet1").Range("s2")
    On Error Resume Next
        If t = lr Then
            Exit Sub
        End If

.Range("a" & t & ":n" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy

If t = lr Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

If .Range("a" & t & ":n" & lr).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible) Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Data with provided criteria not found."
        Exit Sub
    End If

End With

With Sheets("sheet2")
    .Activate
    lr2 = .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    .Range("a" & lr2 + 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats
End With

lr = ""
lr2 = ""
End Sub

The code uses your last row of data as the checkpoint, meaning, every time the code is executed it keeps a track of last row of data in sheet1 at cell S1, while using the criteria available @ cell S2 to filter the master data, and copy paste the data to sheet2. The check point ensures that non of the previous data is used while performing the copy paste operation. But again this is only possible if the data is being added at the very end of master sheet.

There are a couple of logical error handlers that check for errors like after applying the filter no data is available for provided criteria and exiting the code if new data is not available for processing, as well.

I used a sample data since you did not provide actual data to work with. you can change cell references to best suite your needs.
the sample workbook is available here.

hth....
Hey sorry it took me so long to reply, thats amazing.

Thanks so much for this!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike575

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back