VBA copy row if not present in another sheet

earth1899

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there!

I have a project that I am working on with two workbooks. In one workbook, I have a sheet (ExtractedData) with a table. I have a hidden helper column that combines column C with column G since concatenated value is unique. In the other workbook, I have a sheet (ModelGHGRPData) which has a very similar table. All columns are the same except there are 4 additional columns that perform calculations. I have a hidden helper column in this table as well, similarly combining column A and C. This is the master database that I need to add data from Extracted Data to.

I found a code snippet that helps me identify new rows and adds them to the ModelGHGRPData table. I am new to VBA, so please forgive the not-so-elegant way that I have managed to do this! However, using EntireRow brings over all empty columns past the table, which results in a huge worksheet for ModelGHGRPData, which is very inconvenient. Is there a way to get only the table row over to ModelGHGRPData (excluding my hidden helper column)? Additionally, if there's a better way than making a hidden helper, I am all ears.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub PasteNewRows() 'This macro pastes new data into the cement model

Dim cl As Range, rng As Range
Dim ExtractedData As Worksheet, ModelGHGRPData As Worksheet
Dim CementModel As Workbook
Dim LastRowModel As Long, LastRowExtract As Long, LastRowTable As Long
Dim newrow As ListRow
Dim datatable As ListObject
Dim IsFound As Boolean
Dim Msg, Style, Title, Response
Dim p As Integer, q As Integer
Dim newcoltool As ListColumn, newcolmodel As ListColumn

Set datatable = ModelGHGRPData.ListObjects(1) 'setting the GHGRP data table in the GHGRP Data tab in the model
Set newrow = datatable.ListRows.Add ' Adding a new row to the table

With newrow.Range 'Inserts a new row with the formulas from data already in the model
    .Offset(-2).Copy 'Copying the formatting from a previous row in the table
    .Cells(1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas 'Pasting the formulas to the new, blank row
    Application.CutCopyMode = False ' Clear the clipboard
End With

'Add a helper column to the Extracted Data tab that combines report year and GHGRP ID

Set newcoltool = ExtractedData.ListObjects(1).ListColumns.Add
LastRowExtract = ExtractedData.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row

With newcoltool
    .Range.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
    For p = 2 To LastRowExtract
    .Range(p) = ExtractedData.Cells(p, 3) & ExtractedData.Cells(p, 7) 'Column 3 is report year, column 7 is GHGRP ID
    Next p
End With

'Add a helper column to the GHGRP Data tab table in the cement model that combines report year and GHGRP ID
Set newcolmodel = ModelGHGRPData.ListObjects(1).ListColumns.Add

LastRowModel = ModelGHGRPData.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row 'Defines the last row of data in the Model GHGRP data

With newcolmodel
    For q = 2 To LastRowModel
    .Range(q) = ModelGHGRPData.Cells(q, 3) & ModelGHGRPData.Cells(q, 7)
    Next q
End With

'Creates a dictionary
With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For Each cl In ModelGHGRPData.Range("AV2", ModelGHGRPData.Range("AV" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) 'from the helper column (Report year and GHGRP ID) in the cement model
         .Item(cl.Value) = Empty
      Next cl
      For Each cl In ExtractedData.Range("AK2", ExtractedData.Range("AK" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) 'Loops through Extracted Data helper column
         If Not .Exists(cl.Value) Then
            If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = cl Else Set rng = Union(rng, cl)
         End If
      Next cl
End With

'If the data in the helper column of the extracted data is NOT already in the model (i.e., new data), it will be pasted into the model
   If Not rng Is Nothing Then
    rng.EntireRow.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
    ModelGHGRPData.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues 'Paste the values of the row into the last row of the GHGRP data table

End If

With newcolmodel
    .Delete
End With

With newcoltool
    .Range.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    .Delete
End With

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi there!

I have a project that I am working on with two workbooks. In one workbook, I have a sheet (ExtractedData) with a table. I have a hidden helper column that combines column C with column G since concatenated value is unique. In the other workbook, I have a sheet (ModelGHGRPData) which has a very similar table. All columns are the same except there are 4 additional columns that perform calculations. I have a hidden helper column in this table as well, similarly combining column A and C. This is the master database that I need to add data from Extracted Data to.

I found a code snippet that helps me identify new rows and adds them to the ModelGHGRPData table. I am new to VBA, so please forgive the not-so-elegant way that I have managed to do this! However, using EntireRow brings over all empty columns past the table, which results in a huge worksheet for ModelGHGRPData, which is very inconvenient. Is there a way to get only the table row over to ModelGHGRPData (excluding my hidden helper column)? Additionally, if there's a better way than making a hidden helper, I am all ears.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub PasteNewRows() 'This macro pastes new data into the cement model

Dim cl As Range, rng As Range
Dim ExtractedData As Worksheet, ModelGHGRPData As Worksheet
Dim CementModel As Workbook
Dim LastRowModel As Long, LastRowExtract As Long, LastRowTable As Long
Dim newrow As ListRow
Dim datatable As ListObject
Dim IsFound As Boolean
Dim Msg, Style, Title, Response
Dim p As Integer, q As Integer
Dim newcoltool As ListColumn, newcolmodel As ListColumn

Set datatable = ModelGHGRPData.ListObjects(1) 'setting the GHGRP data table in the GHGRP Data tab in the model
Set newrow = datatable.ListRows.Add ' Adding a new row to the table

With newrow.Range 'Inserts a new row with the formulas from data already in the model
    .Offset(-2).Copy 'Copying the formatting from a previous row in the table
    .Cells(1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas 'Pasting the formulas to the new, blank row
    Application.CutCopyMode = False ' Clear the clipboard
End With

'Add a helper column to the Extracted Data tab that combines report year and GHGRP ID

Set newcoltool = ExtractedData.ListObjects(1).ListColumns.Add
LastRowExtract = ExtractedData.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row

With newcoltool
    .Range.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
    For p = 2 To LastRowExtract
    .Range(p) = ExtractedData.Cells(p, 3) & ExtractedData.Cells(p, 7) 'Column 3 is report year, column 7 is GHGRP ID
    Next p
End With

'Add a helper column to the GHGRP Data tab table in the cement model that combines report year and GHGRP ID
Set newcolmodel = ModelGHGRPData.ListObjects(1).ListColumns.Add

LastRowModel = ModelGHGRPData.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row 'Defines the last row of data in the Model GHGRP data

With newcolmodel
    For q = 2 To LastRowModel
    .Range(q) = ModelGHGRPData.Cells(q, 3) & ModelGHGRPData.Cells(q, 7)
    Next q
End With

'Creates a dictionary
With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For Each cl In ModelGHGRPData.Range("AV2", ModelGHGRPData.Range("AV" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) 'from the helper column (Report year and GHGRP ID) in the cement model
         .Item(cl.Value) = Empty
      Next cl
      For Each cl In ExtractedData.Range("AK2", ExtractedData.Range("AK" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)) 'Loops through Extracted Data helper column
         If Not .Exists(cl.Value) Then
            If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = cl Else Set rng = Union(rng, cl)
         End If
      Next cl
End With

'If the data in the helper column of the extracted data is NOT already in the model (i.e., new data), it will be pasted into the model
   If Not rng Is Nothing Then
    rng.EntireRow.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
    ModelGHGRPData.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues 'Paste the values of the row into the last row of the GHGRP data table

End If

With newcolmodel
    .Delete
End With

With newcoltool
    .Range.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    .Delete
End With
Hi, just to add that these are both list objects, but I'm not entirely sure how to handle that.

Upvote 0
Hi, if anyone has any suggestions, still haven't found a workaround here.
Also, I figured I should clarify what I am trying to do overall: If a value in my helper column (AK) in the table on Extracted Data sheet does not exist in the helper column (AV) in the Model sheet table, I want to paste the table row from Extracted sheet data table to the Model sheet table.
Thanks in advance for anyone able to help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyanscott

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back