VBA Counter that sets itself to the number a specifc word appears in a sheet when excel is opened.

FelixExcel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey all, Im currently working on an excel project in which I use a counter. Right now I use following code to reset the counter to 0 everytime excel is opened.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

counter = 0

End Sub

I now noticed that this is actually not what I need. I would need the counter to set itself to the number a specific word, for example "hello" appears in my excel sheet. I have a feeling there is an easy solution to this, which shouldnt involve to many lines of code.

So far I made a bit of progress and found out that I can use the formular =SUMIF(range, "Text") to count how often a certain word appears in a certain range, but Im not sure how Im able to integrate this number into my vba code. Is there an option to just set my counter to the value of the cell that has the sumif formular. For example if the formular would be in the cell A2:

counter = A2

End Sub

I would appreciate any help with this.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
@FelixExcel If you have the desired count value in a specific cell then code will be along these lines...

VBA Code:
counter = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Edit To Suit").Range("A2")
Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hey all, Im currently working on an excel project in which I use a counter. Right now I use following code to reset the counter to 0 everytime excel is opened.

counter = 0

End Sub

I now noticed that this is actually not what I need. I would need the counter to set itself to the number a specific word, for example "hello" appears in my excel sheet. I have a feeling there is an easy solution to this, which shouldnt involve to many lines of code.

So far I made a bit of progress and found out that I can use the formular =SUMIF(range, "Text") to count how often a certain word appears in a certain range, but Im not sure how Im able to integrate this number into my vba code. Is there an option to just set my counter to the value of the cell that has the sumif formular. For example if the formular would be in the cell A2:

counter = A2

End Sub

I would appreciate any help with this.
Meant to say COUNTIF instead of SUMIF

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back