VBA Creat a copy and Auto Delete not working

PaulOPTC

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning,

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with this, I feel like I am close, but it just is not doing what I would like it too.

I am not a VBA coder at all, I have built the last couple of sheets using frankenstine code from googling it, and tweaking it ever so slightly to fit my goals. However in this case, I can not seem to get it working, and I am not sure why.

I would like to create a button on my sheet that when clicked, it will do these following tasks (In order):

1. Save a copy of the entire workbook, in the same folder as the currentwork book, but with a slightly different name.
2. Delete all check boxes on the current worksheet
3. Delete entire rows, that have a specific word in them
4. Print the worksheet as a PDF and save it in a different folder - the folder will always be different, so maybe it makes more sence to set it as the current folder as the workbook?

First I made a button, that calls a few different moduels - No issues there I can keep it this way, or if we could set it up in one module that would also be fine.

All of these modules I have found by googling, and then tweaking it slightly, because of this, I do not know exactly what it wrong with it.

Module number 1:

Sub createnewWB()
Dim wbPath As String
Dim newWBname As String

newWBname = Range("C15")

wbPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\"
Workbooks.Add
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=wbPath & newWBname
End Sub

This module SHOULD hopfully save the entire workbook as a copy, using the name in C15, but it is currently not doing anything for me. C15 is "=N8&" - "&N10" Because it fills the job number and the job name based off what the user will type into it.

Module number 2:
Sub RemoveCheckboxes()
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes.Delete
Selection.FormatConditions.Delete
End Sub

This one works fine as it is, No issues there.

Module number 3:

Sub DeleteRowswithSpecificValue()
For i = Selection.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1
If Cells(i, 2).Value = "Auto Delete" Then
Cells(i, 2).EntireRow.Delete
End If
Next i
End Sub

This does nothing, I am not sure why? I was hoping that it would be able to delete rows that I label Auto Delete. The way I am labeling them Auto delete might be the issue? Example: "=IF(T16>0,T17,"Auto Delete")"

Module number 4:

There was a few different ones I was trying out, none of them worked, I dont know how to fix this, but Ideally, I would want the file name to be printed out the same as "C15" in module one.

I am taking any and all advice, I have spent too much time on this, and I can not get it working.

Sample.xlsm
ABCDEGHIJKLMNOPQRST
2Proposal Type:
3Time and material
4Change Order
5Proposal
8Job Number: 1000
9Change Order Number:
10Job Address/Name:Test Name
13Submitted to:Submitted by:
15Project Specifications: 1000 - Test Name
23Select Proposal WordingOther
24Base Bid:
26Auto Delete
Proposal CO T&M
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C15C15=N8&" - "&N10
A24A24=IF('C:\Users\test\Desktop\Single Bid Template\Estimates\[Proposal, TnM, CO Template.xlsx]COTM Logic'!C2,"Scope of work:", "Base Bid:")
B26B26=IF(T16>0,T17,"Auto Delete")

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Module 3: What is it you want it to do exactly? As you have it right now, if you select rows 10-15 (so 5 rows) and run it, it will look for "Auto Delete" on rows 1-5 and delete if it finds it. Is that how you want it to work?

Upvote 0
Module 1:
(Heads up, this overwrites any other file with the same name without asking)

VBA Code:
Sub createnewWB()
    newWBname = Range("C15")
    wbPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\"
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs wbPath & newWBname & ".xlsm"
    MsgBox "File successfully saved as: " & newWBname & ".xlsm"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Module 4:

A bit wonky, I'll see if I can make something better, maybe someone can beat me to it.

VBA Code:
Sub saveAsPDF()
    newPDFname = Range("C15").Value
    Test = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(InitialFileName:=newPDFname, fileFilter:="PDF (*.pdf), *.pdf")
    ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=newPDFname, OpenAfterPublish:=True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Module 4:

A bit wonky, I'll see if I can make something better, maybe someone can beat me to it.

VBA Code:
Sub saveAsPDF()
    Test = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(InitialFileName:=newPDFname, fileFilter:="PDF (*.pdf), *.pdf")
    ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=newPDFname, OpenAfterPublish:=True
End Sub

Improved Module 4: Now allows you to cancel if you want to. This one also overwrites any files with the same file name.

VBA Code:
Sub saveAsPDF()
    saveDialog = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(InitialFileName:=newPDFname, fileFilter:="PDF (*.pdf), *.pdf")
    If saveDialog = False Then
        MsgBox ("Save canceled")
        End
    Else
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Module 1, try this:

VBA Code:
Sub createnewWB()
    Dim fso As Scripting.FileSystemObject 'VBA window > Tools > References > Check "Microsoft Scripting Runtime" to make this work
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    thisWBname = fso.GetBaseName(ThisWorkbook.Name) 'this WB name without extension
    newWBsuffix = Range("C15")
    wbPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\"
    Workbooks.Add
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs wbPath & thisWBname & newWBsuffix
End Sub

Module 3: What is it you want it to do exactly? As you have it right now, if you select rows 10-15 (so 5 rows) and run it, it will look for "Auto Delete" on rows 1-5 and delete if it finds it. Is that how you want it to work?
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your reply;

The purpose of this workboook is to be a template for proposals for my company, this page in particular is the proposal page. Anything to the left of the gray bar, when printed will be on a PDF for my client to see.
All of the bullet points are different line items for the proposal - Example: (34) Xyz

These bullet points are automatically pulled from another sheet in the same workbook the "Totals" sheet. That sheet is for me to put my counts on, as well as do the math for a final price.

The final price is listed at the bottom of all of the bullet points on the proposal worksheet.

The goal of module three is to remove all of the empty bullet points, thus bringing my final price at the bottom higher, so my client doesnt have half a page of empty space with just bullet points.
I have currently been doing this by hand without any issues but I would like to automate the deletion .

I have it set to say "Auto delete" when it has no text from the other sheet, if it could delete that entire row (Ideally it would also delete the extra row directly below it, but beggers cant be choosers) thus moving up my final price I would be very happy.

Again thank you for your help! Have a nice weekend.

Upvote 0
Module 3: I think this works as you want it to. Will "Auto Delete" always be in the same column? Right now it searches in columns A:J, if "Auto Delete" is always found in the same column I might as well reduce the range that it has to look in.

VBA Code:

Set Rng = Range("A1", "J" & Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
    For i = Rng.Cells.Count To 1 Step -1
        If Rng(i).Value = "Auto Delete" Then Range(Rng(i).EntireRow, Rng(i).Offset(1, 0).EntireRow).Delete
    Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Module 3: I think this works as you want it to. Will "Auto Delete" always be in the same column? Right now it searches in columns A:J, if "Auto Delete" is always found in the same column I might as well reduce the range that it has to look in.

VBA Code:

Set Rng = Range("A1", "J" & Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
    For i = Rng.Cells.Count To 1 Step -1
        If Rng(i).Value = "Auto Delete" Then Range(Rng(i).EntireRow, Rng(i).Offset(1, 0).EntireRow).Delete
    Next i

End Sub
Thank you so much for your help, I just implimented it, everything worked great! I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back