VBA delete row with multiple criteria using wildcards

Cobolt78

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I am very new at excel and vba and have been looking for a macro that will search for partial matches using wildcards and delete rows in column k. I found a macro that works well with multiple criteria but the macro has to match the cell exactly.
Let me explain with an example, I have a sheet that I import data from a report. I have column k with 20,000 plus rows and a lot of cells in column k have useless information I wish to remove such as "*superseded* xyz abc" and *superseded* bla bla bla" and "*inactive* xyz abc" and "*inactive* bla bla bla" and "*defunct* xyz abc" and "*defunct* bla bla bla". The *superseded*, *inactive* and *defunct* have up to 20-30 different types of text after them so it makes it a tedious process to copy and paste them all into my current vba macro. Is there a way to just search and delete rows with the key words *superseded*, *inactive* and *defunct*? I would also like it to be dynamic so I can add more criteria later like a keyword "*remove*"
I don't need any other data in the rows with the key words so deleting the whole row is fine.
Hopefully I have explained myself properly.

Thanks in advance

Ok, how about
VBA Code:
Sub Cobalt()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long

Ary = Array( "superseded", "inactive", "CO Fatigue" )
   With Sheets("Compliance").ListObjects("Table_RawReport_PSC_NEW").ListColumns("Entity Title")
      For i = 0 To UBound(Ary)
         .Range.Replace "*" & Ary(i) & "*", True, xlWhole, , False, , False, False
      Next i
      Intersect(.Parent.DataBodyRange, .Range.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlLogical).EntireRow).Delete
   End With
End Sub

Thank you so much, this worked a treat. I greatly appreciate the time you diverted into helping me and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
One more quick question, How would I hide the rows instead of deleting them if I wished to. I tried .Hidden = True instead of .Delete but obviously that didn't work.
Thanks

Upvote 0
To hide the rows use
VBA Code:
      Next i
      .Range.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlLogical).EntireRow.Hidden = True
   End With
but be aware that the code is changing the values in the cells.

Upvote 0
To hide the rows use
VBA Code:
      Next i
      .Range.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlLogical).EntireRow.Hidden = True
   End With
but be aware that the code is changing the values in the cells.
Thanks that worked however when I un-hide all the rows they have TRUE in the "Entity Title" k column instead of the original text. Is there a way to preserve the original text when I un-hide the rows?

Sorry to be a pain.

Upvote 0
Not with that code. You would need a totally different solution.

Upvote 0
Not with that code. You would need a totally different solution.
Just had a thought, maybe a stupid way of doing it but do you think I could just add at the start of the code to copy K column to say a hidden "L" column and just change your code from "Entity Title" to what ever I call the L column that way it would just put "TRUE in L column and leave the real data alone in the K column?
Not elegant but would allow me to change the code to either delete or hide relatively easy if needed.
Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Yes you could do that, or you could put a formula in the hidden column that returns true or false & use the autofilter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back