VBA - Delimited text to rows on a large dataset.

pcsrvc

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi all!

This is my very first post here but I have done some research on the board and It is great how helpful you guys are! Thank you for that!

I'm using Office 365 on a Mac so it does not have the Power Query Editor, thus the idea of using VBA. I have never ever done anything with VBA before so I don't know even where to start with it.

I have a dataset like the below:
[Name] [Gender]
[ |ABELIO|ABILHIO|ABILIO|ABLIO|ADAELIO|ADAILIO|ADALIO|ADELIO|ADILHIO|ADILIO|ADLIO|ADUILIO| ] [ M ]

The dataset has 50743 rows and several of the cells have over 5 names delimited by |

It is my understanding that this dataset will yield approximately 130k names and as it is an old dataset there's only two genders, M and F.

I would like to use this dataset to perform a VLOOKUP from another sheet to validate if the name is likely to be a person's name or some other junk data.

Can anyone help me out with a VBA to transpose that data maintaining the Gender column information in each of the rows so that it looks something like
ABELIO M
ABILHIO M
ABLIO M
ADAELIO M

I truly appreciate the time you guys give here and hope to be helping people out in the future too as I'm only starting to study VBA for Excel.

Cheers!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Excel for Mac does have a PowerQuery editor. Perhaps you have not installed updates?

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 2.05.04 PM.png

Upvote 0
Mine doesn't for some reason and the company disabled downloading add-ins, updating and such. Under "Data" I can't find the Power Query Editor.

I have however been able to modify a VBA code I found online and get the job done.

Thank you for helping!

Upvote 0
I got it now. I had to join the Office Insider Program by reinstalling the Office suite to include Microsoft Update Assistant, then I went to the advanced options in the Update Assistance and chose the Current Channel (preview) and that solved the issue.

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back