VBA - Display Cell Value in a Range Based on Another Range

foolishpiano

Hello Mr. Excel! You guys are always extremely helpful, so I have another question I would greatly appreciate your help with:

In column P I have a list of Unit #'s that need to be updated in an online system. In column BA I mark off units that have been updated (I type the word "Yes"). For example, Unit # 101 is in P15, and once the unit information is updated I will enter "Yes" into BA15.

I would like to create a macro so that when it's run, the next Unit # that has not been updated is displayed in another cell on another worksheet (I then use VLOOKUP to get information about that unit). The Unit #'s are not always just numbers, and they aren't always sequential. For example, I could have a project with Unit # 5A and the next unit is 9B, which is why I'd like the macro to just run down the range in column P. Continuing the first example, once Unit # 101 is updated and I've entered in "Yes" to BA15, when I run the macro I'd like the value in cell P16 to be displayed. When the end of the range in column P is reached, rather than trying to display a Unit #, a message box pops up and says something like, "All Units are Updated!"

I apologize if I have not explained what I'm trying to accomplish in an understandable way; I am happy to clarify, after all, you all are the one's trying to help me!

Thank you all in advance!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
A few questions for clarification:
When you say:
the next Unit # that has not been updated is displayed in another cell on another worksheet
do you mean the next unit in column P that does not have a "Yes" in column BA? Also, to which cell and which sheet do you want that Unit# displayed?

Upvote 0
I think you can do this without a macro if you can add another column (say BB).

In BB2 (assuming your data starts on row 2) enter this formula and copy down to the end: =IF(AND(BA2="",BA1="Yes"),IF(P16="","Complete","Next"),"")

This should identify where the next row is (or if it is complete)

Then in the cell where you want to show the part number put: =IF(COUNTIF(BB:BB,"Complete"),"All units updated",INDEX(P:BB,MATCH("Next",BB:BB,0),1))

Then you can use that cell to drive your VLOOKUP

Upvote 0
A few questions for clarification:
When you say: do you mean the next unit in column P that does not have a "Yes" in column BA? Also, to which cell and which sheet do you want that Unit# displayed?

Hi Mumps! Yes; I do mean the next unit in column P that does not have a "Yes" in column BA. In answer to your second question, I would like the Unit # displayed in cell A2 in a sheet called "Cheatsheet to Upload Data"

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
I think you can do this without a macro if you can add another column (say BB).

In BB2 (assuming your data starts on row 2) enter this formula and copy down to the end: =IF(AND(BA2="",BA1="Yes"),IF(P16="","Complete","Next"),"")

This should identify where the next row is (or if it is complete)

Then in the cell where you want to show the part number put: =IF(COUNTIF(BB:BB,"Complete"),"All units updated",INDEX(P:BB,MATCH("Next",BB:BB,0),1))

Then you can use that cell to drive your VLOOKUP

Hi WaterGypsy! Your formulas worked like a charm; thank you very much! For future reference and my own personal knowledge, I still would like to know how to do this in VBA (I'm slowly learning VBA), just in case there is a time where I cannot add a helper column. Thank you again though! This has got me going in the right direction!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back