VBA - Edit Mode & Go to Start of Cell without SendKeys

Eskuppe

In VBA, I would like to enter the Edit mode of a selected cell, and move the cursor to the start of the cell.

Via the keyboard, this is accomplished by F2 & Ctrl+Home, and I have been using this code:
Code:
SendKeys ("{F2}^{HOME}"), True

SendKeys is causing a NumLock toggle issue :eek:, and the advice is to avoid using SendKeys. However, an alternative is seldom suggested.

Can anyone please suggest a solution without SendKeys?
If not, do you know how to keep NumLock on, noting that putting SendKeys "{NUMLOCK}", True after the code just adds an extra toggle.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You can put the cursor in any range with VBA by the range.select method, example
Code:
Range("B10").Select
As far as edit mode, you just tell it what you want in the cell by enclosing the text in quotation marks, example.
Code:
Range("B10") = "Hello There"
and you don't have to select the cell to do that, the statement tells Excel what to write in the cell If you want to edit text that is already in the cell, you can just replace it with the correct text by over writing the incorrect text, example
Code:
Range("B10") = "Hello out there"
There are other ways to edit cell content, but that is enough tutoring for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your advice, JLGWhiz.

I know quite well how to change the value of a cell, that's not what I'm trying to achieve.

We have a comment history column where for each row, there is a number of comments within the same cell where the newest comment is at the top. For eg:
2/3 - Update 32.3
28/2 - Update 32.2
14/2 - Update 32.1

Rather than make users select the cell, double click, press Alt + Enter to create a new line in the cell, then go to the start of the cell, I have made a button that creates the space for the new comment.

I now only need to go into edit mode, and go to the start of the cell.

I know it's possible, because anything possible in Excel can be programmed in VBA. Just need to know how, please.

Upvote 0
Hi Eskuppe,

Seems like SendKeys is the only option. Try the following which I have slightly adapted from Rick Rothstein's solution from here:

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub LeaveInEditMode()
    'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/727916-there-way-vba-leave-cell-edit-mode.html
    Dim Char As Long
    Char = -1  ' 5 for fifth character and -1 to move in front of that character
    Range("A9").Select
    SendKeys "{F2}", True
    DoEvents
    SendKeys "{Left  " & Len(ActiveCell.Text) - Char & "}", True
    DoEvents
End Sub

Hi JLGWhiz:

Happy 10,000 :) ;) :)

Robert

Upvote 0
Thanks very much, Robert. DoEvents & separating the commands seem to have done the trick, however I have kept Ctrl+Home:

Code:
SendKeys "{F2}", True
DoEvents
SendKeys "^{HOME}", True
DoEvents

This really is a stupid problem to have to deal with, but this is MS after all :p.

Thanks again.
Destiny is all.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back