VBA Editor: auto styling too active

JacobsMaarten

As you know, the editor helps to write code in an orderly way: it automatically adjust the Cap size and space. However, with me, it is overly active. An example:

You type:
Rich (BB code):
dim Rng as range
set rng=new range
The editor makes of this once you hit the Return-key ("Enter")
Rich (BB code):
Dim Rng as Range
Set Rng = new Range

However, with me, this auto format already is applied while I'm still typing. This results in the following anoying behaviour:
( "I" represents the cursor,"_" represents a space I typed)
I type
Rich (BB code):
dim_I
and before I can continu with "rng", the cursor jumps back to "dimI_" so that eventually end up with
Rich (BB code):
dimrngI_
Only if type really, really quickly, I sometimes can manage to continu typing, before the cursor jumped back, ending up with the code as it should be.

Or another example. I type (really quickly so the cursor does not yet jump back)
Rich (BB code):
set_rng=nI
The editor recognizes that I'm about to set an object and 'helps' me by adjusting the format,
Rich (BB code):
Set_Rng =I n
but as you can see the cursor does not move with it. So I end up with
Rich (BB code):
Set_Rng =ewI n

This 'help' of the VBA Editor really drives me crazy. The weird thing is, that it is not always like this. Sometimes it works as it should. Any one experiencing the same problems and/or knows a or the solution. Any help will be hightly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Are you using Excel 2003 SP3? I have come across two other people with the same problem, both using Excel 2003 SP3, but have not come across a solution yet. Do you have any add-ins installed that might be running code on a timer, or do you have Google Desktop installed?

Upvote 0
What happens if you go to Tools, Options, Editor tab, and uncheck Auto Syntax Check?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

@rorya: I'm number 3 then, because I also run Excel 2003 SP3. As far as I know, no timer is used. I do use some add-ins of which the code is hidden. But I'm quite sure there's no timer there. But anyway, I'll check with the developpers to make sure.

No google desktop is installed.

@Right_Click: auto syntax check was unchecked, so that can't be it.

In the mean time, I'll hope that it will disappear just as misteriously as it appeared (or that Microsoft reads this thread and solves it)

regards,
Maarten

Upvote 0
Maarten,
I am closely monitoring the two other threads related to this and will let you know if they come up with a solution before you do! :)

Upvote 0
I have the exact same issue on one of my environments.

Although it does not appear always, but most of the time - I cannot understand when it happens and when it doesn't. It is Excel 2003 SP 2. It is on VM-ware and I connect through Remote desktop.

On my desktop computer the same document works fine. That's a Excel 2003 SP 3.

:confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0
Yes, here on my office's Excel2007 VBA IDE it is the same annoying thing. Anyone with a solution yet?

Regards,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMarty

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back