VBA - Excel Data Treatement across multiple sheets

Satamanster

Good morning everyone! I know the text is long but please don't leave just yet. Please keep with me and be patient, I'm a newbie, on the community and on excel!

I have this project that I could really use some inputs on how to achieve it (logic, algorithm and code-wise).
I have two Excel files that work as daily logs for two facilities I run. Each contains Operator Name, Job Type and Time on Position. They are named as 'DATE'_'FACILITY'. Note that an operator may leave is job and come back later on the same day wich will result on a new entry.

I'm in charge of, every day get the data of those two logs and insert them in a protime file that consists on JOB1,JOB2,etc as sheets and for each, lines are the dates and columns are the operator name.
I want to develop a solution that makes this automatic for me.

My general idea for this would be a script that asks me for a date and than based on that, get values from the log files and insert them in the protime sheet.

Basically my approach would be:

Code:
    "Get Date from User"
    From File 'DATE'_'FACILITY'
     For each line
       Get Operator Name, Get JobType, Get time
    In File Pro_time
     Go to JobType Sheet
     Cell(Date,Operator Name).Insert_Value
Honestly everytime I start a VBA/ Excel Automation project I always run a little bit blind, because I don't have VBA knowledge and it's a little by trial and error based on my needs.

So what do you guys think? Is this doable in the way I'm thinking? Also, can I write the script in so it run without have to open the files? Like a shortcut on desktop that works as a vba standalone script?
I'm thinking of later adding a progress bar and an output userform with details such as JOB1 Total : x Hours, etc but for now functionality is key.
Any comments, suggestions and solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back