VBA - F8 step through is not working properly

demelza

Hi

I've had a problem that has started this morning where when I try to F8 step through my code, it lets me go through 5-10 steps, then the whole code will just run through to finish with no control.

It's doing my head in, I thought it might be the code that I was working on, there are no breaks or anything. I closed Excel and opened a previous version of the file and was still getting the problem, it steps though the first few lines then whoosh, all the way through to the end.

I've opened other files, that have macro's that I use everyday that work perfectly, and the same thing is happening when I try and step through them, so it's a global problem (if that's the term!).

I've restarted my computer and everything and nothing is working.

I'm on Excel 2007, Windows XP. I can't think what I could have done to cause this!

Help would be much appreciated, this is driving me crazy and I need to be able to step through the code I am working on because it is far from complete.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi

I've had a problem that has started this morning where when I try to F8 step through my code, it lets me go through 5-10 steps, then the whole code will just run through to finish with no control.

It's doing my head in, I thought it might be the code that I was working on, there are no breaks or anything. I closed Excel and opened a previous version of the file and was still getting the problem, it steps though the first few lines then whoosh, all the way through to the end.

I've opened other files, that have macro's that I use everyday that work perfectly, and the same thing is happening when I try and step through them, so it's a global problem (if that's the term!).

I've restarted my computer and everything and nothing is working.

I'm on Excel 2007, Windows XP. I can't think what I could have done to cause this!

Help would be much appreciated, this is driving me crazy and I need to be able to step through the code I am working on because it is far from complete.

Thanks

Have you tried using the Debug tool bar to step through. That's the one with the lines that look like bar code. You and also step through with that.

Upvote 0
A response to another similar question

It turns out that another application which I had running the background, called KeyRocket, and which is designed to help you memorize keyboard shortcuts in office applications, was responsible for the screwy behavior. I hope this helps someone else!

Have you installed anything recently, between it working and not working....something is different.

Upvote 0
This happens to me a few times a week. I'll try the debug toolbar instead of just hitting F8 to see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Found this on google.:

Go to Tools -> Options. Make sure that the 'Show All Settings' Checkbox is checked. Click on Environment -> Keyboard. The top of the tab has a drop down list titled "Apply the following additional keyboard mapping schema". Make sure that Visual Studio 6 is selected in the drop down and hit the "Refresh" button.

Check the debug menue to see if the shortcut for step in has changed. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for all the suggestions!

I tried the Debug Toolbar and the exact same thing happened, it stepped through the first 10 or so actions by pressing the toolbar button, then the macro suddenly runs to finish.

Dermie_72, I don't have those options when I go to Tools -> Options. Maybe you are on a different version? I'm on Excel 2007. The box that comes up when I go to ools -> Options has four tabs titled "Editor", "Editor Format", "General", "Docking" - none of these have the options you mentioned.

Yesterday I had Microsoft Project 2010 installed, the rest of my Office suite has remained at 2007 though and I'm on Windows XP. Apart from yesterday's installation of Project, I have had nothing installed for ages.

I'm sure it was working fine for a while this morning, then just suddenly went kaput :(

Upvote 0
have you tried this on a different computer. You've tested other files and they act the same. now test the environment, by trying this elsewhere to see if ti works there. If it works on a different computer then the issue may be the MS Project. but let's eliminate variables so we can isolate the probable causes.

Just checking....you're not accidentally pressing control, while pressing F8, and running to cursor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I sent it to two colleagues, one running Excel 2003 with no Project, and one running Excel 2007 and they had Project 2010 installed yesterday as well. The step through worked perfectly on both of their machines. so it must be something to do with my environment.

I'm definitely not accidently hitting something, I've tried with the toobar buttons, my keyboard and my laptop keyboard and same problem.

I might give our IT department a call and see if they can come up with anything, but anymore suggestions would be much appreciated!

Upvote 0
I think you're right. It sounds like an enviroment issue on your computer. It may need to have excel re-installed, but let your IT guys have a play and see if they have a better solution. Sorry that it wasn't a quick fix, but at least you eliminated several known causes from the list.

Good luck

Upvote 0
How quickly are you pressing the F8 (or even the toolbar button)? Could you have something that, after 10 of the same action within a time limit, repeats the action?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back