VBA filter for removing prior month data

DJhuffman

Hello all! I've been engaging in a crash course of Excel macros ever since I was reassigned to help my department streamline data processing. I've done fairly well, but at this point, there are two steps in the process that I haven't figured out how to code.

For the purposes of the example, let's say I have a set of dates in column D and balances in column K. The procedure involves filtering out items with dates from the prior month (Ex. March dates in April) so they are not caught up in the procedures to remove resolved items per Col K balances. Essentially, I need the VBA equivalent of going into the filter and deselecting the prior month (assume that autofilter is already active per the VBA code). And of course, I can't just be month specific, since the requirements will change each month.

Is there a fairly uncomplicated method to do this?

Thanking you in advance!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
I am not sure what you mean by deselecting. Normally a filter will produce items you want to do something with. However, here is some code that would filter anything from the previous month based on dates in column D. But I suspect what you might want is to filter the current month's data and work with that. At any rate, this will give you an idea of how it is done.
Code:
Sub t()
Dim sdt As Date, edt As Date
sdt = Month(Date) - 1 & "/1/2019"
edt = GetLastDayOfMonth(Date - 28)
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.AutoFilter 4, ">=" & sdt, xlAnd, "<=" & edt
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Offset(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).'copy, delete, whatever'
'Other code here to complete process
End Sub

Public Function GetLastDayOfMonth(ByVal myDate As Date) As Date
    GetLastDayOfMonth = DateSerial(Year(myDate), Month(myDate) + 1, 0)
End Function
The first procedure would run to set the filter and it calls the second procedure to get the 'edt' date parameter used for the filter process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. What you gave me was a perfect stepping stone. Your code yielded the data for the prior month only, which allowed me to determine the inverse to generate all the data prior to the prior month (The current month is already removed in a prior step, so formulas to retain it's data were unnecessary. In case you're interested, here's what I ended up with:
Code:
Sub datetest()

Dim sdt As Date
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.AutoFilter 4, "<" & sdt

End Sub
This filters for all dates prior to March. Admittedly, it guts a lot of the code you provided, but don't get me wrong. I'm very grateful for your help. At this point, I guess my concerns revolve around the use of "/1/2019". Is this going to need to be updated around January (1-1 & "/1/2019")?

Also, I'm not overly familiar with the UsedRange property. What exactly is it doing?

Again, thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. What you gave me was a perfect stepping stone. Your code yielded the data for the prior month only, which allowed me to determine the inverse to generate all the data prior to the prior month (The current month is already removed in a prior step, so formulas to retain it's data were unnecessary. In case you're interested, here's what I ended up with:
Code:
Sub datetest()
Dim sdt As Date
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.AutoFilter 4, "<" & sdt
End Sub
This filters for all dates prior to March. Admittedly, it guts a lot of the code you provided, but don't get me wrong. I'm very grateful for your help. At this point, I guess my concerns revolve around the use of "/1/2019". Is this going to need to be updated around January (1-1 & "/1/2019")?

Also, I'm not overly familiar with the UsedRange property. What exactly is it doing?
Again, thank you for your help.

No problem, I didn't expect you to use the code as I wrote it. It was just to illustrate how to get the dates and use them. Glad you worked it out.
The UsedRange property will return a range from the cell at top left of all cells with data or formulas to the intersecting cell for the last row with data or formulas and the last column with data or formulas. Just what it says, the range that you are using, including any blank cells that fall within.
Regards, JLG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back