VBA - Finance - MonteCarlo

Jessie20

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi, I need help with my vba code. I know this is a little specific, but if anyone can help it would be amazing.

I need to consider the random market model as a description of the temporal evolution of the price (which would be in log) of a financial asset:

p t = p t-1 + ε t , t = 2, . . . , T,

with p 1 = 0 and where the ε t are N(0, 1) independent variables.

I tried to write a function (Function) that receives as input a value of T and returns a Monte-Carlo estimate of the expected number of times that the price crosses z'ero (i.e. the expected number of times that { p t-1 < 0 and p t > 0 } or { p t-1 > 0 and p t < 0 } ) 'given the value of T. I need to use at least 1000 Monte-Carlo replications. This is the code I wrote, but when I try to test it with a sub procedure, its not working. Can someone help me please?

VBA Code:
Function Question3(tTime As Integer)

Dim tTime As Integer
tTime = T
Dim priceStock(1 To T) As Double
priceStock = pS
Dim ePs As Variant
Dim Index As Integer
Dim Succes As Integer

pS(1) = 0
ePs = Application.NormSInv(Rnd)
pS(T) = pS(T - 1) + ePs(t)

For Index = 1 To 10000
    For T = 2 To T
    Randomize

If pS(1) < 0 Then Succes = Succes + 1
    If pS(T - 1) > 0 Then Succes = Succes + 1

Else
            pS(T) = 0

End If

Next T
    Next Index

End Function

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
What does "not working" mean? What do you expect to happen and what happens instead?

Upvote 0
What does "not working" mean? What do you expect to happen and what happens instead?
I explained what I was trying to achieve with my code: I tried to write a function (Function) that receives as input a value of T and returns a Monte-Carlo estimate of the expected number of times that the price crosses z'ero (i.e. the expected number of times that { p t-1 < 0 and p t > 0 } or { p t-1 > 0 and p t < 0 } ) 'given the value of T. I need to use at least 1000 Monte-Carlo replications.

When I try to run my sub to try my function, this is the message I get :
Sub or Function not defined

Upvote 0
I understand what you are trying to achieve conceptually but not in concrete terms what a correct result looks like.

I see a couple of issues. They should be addressed but I don't know if they are causing the problem you are reporting. What line of code is highlighted when the error occurs?

VBA Code:
Function Question3(tTime As Integer)

Dim tTime As Integer
tTime is a parameter for your function but you are also declaring it again as a local variable. That should cause a compile error that prevents the code from running.

VBA Code:
tTime = T
Then you assign T to it. But T is not declared, and it's not defined. If you are using Option Explicit then this will not compile. If you are not, then T will default to be Variant and have a value of 0 at this point.

VBA Code:
priceStock = pS
pS is not declared or defined. This line will cause an error. If pS is declared somewhere outside if this procedure it would be a better practice to pass it as an argument rather than depending on global data.

This is a Function so its purpose should be to return a value. However, Question3 is never assigned a value so this function always return 0. If you are not using it to return a value, then it should be declared as a Sub instead of a Function.

Upvote 0
Oh! I think I improved it by following your recommendation if I understood it well. I think I can't call my function. But if you could tell me if what I changed is better?

Thanks!

VBA Code:
Function Question3(t As Integer, p As Double, ePs As Variant)

Question3 = p(t)

Dim p(1 To t) As Double
Dim Index As Integer
Dim Succes As Integer

p(1) = 0
ePs = Application.NormSInv(Rnd)
p(t) = p(t - 1) + ePs(t)

For Index = 1 To 10000
    For t = 2 To t
    Randomize

If p(1) < 0 Then Succes = Succes + 1
    If p(t - 1) > 0 Then Succes = Succes + 1

Else
            p(t) = 0

End If

Next t
    Next Index

End Function

Sub Question3(t As Integer, p As Double, ePs As Variant)

Msg.Box p(t)

End Sub

Upvote 0
I don't understand this revision.

You now have both a Function and a Sub called Question3. This will not compile.

The Function had one parameter, now it has three. I'm not sure why that changed.

The Sub refers to an array p that you declared in the Function. If this compiles, it is a bug.

You originally said that your function
receives as input a value of T and returns a Monte-Carlo estimate
but I don't see where the function returns this. It immediately sets the return value to p(t) then none of the other work affects what is returned.

I am also thinking your logic does not match your description
expected number of times that the price crosses z'ero
that is not what the code does.

I think what I can do to help you is re-read your original description of what you want, and just rewrite your code. That may take a little time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back