VBA: Find and Group All Occurrences of Value, Run Sub, Move to Next Group

mykulpasskwa

Board Regular
Hi, I need some help getting started on a code. I have a range ("B4:B") of variables that are related by the first four characters (the year). Currently an input box will appear asking which year to run the code in, and the default value is based on the left four characters of the active cell. The years are usually grouped together so I currently have it going to the next cell and checking if the new active cell matches the previous cell. I would like to eliminate the input box completely and:
  1. have Excel start at "B4" which contains the first term of that year
  2. find all occurrences of that year,
  3. run the sub I have already which sums values in an adjacent cell and highlights the term they went over an annual cap
  4. then moves on to the next cell
    1. if it is the same year it adds that value to the counter
    2. if it is a new year it resets the counter and runs the third procedure above
The terms look like something like [201510, 201530, 201540]; [201615, 201625]...[202010, 202030, 202050] where the last two digits don't matter and the first four digits are the year. I've been poking around the internet and I'm not sure whether to use the Find method or if I need to create a dictionary (which I've never done). There might be another solution like a For loop, but the main thing I need to figure out is how to make excel take the first occurrence of four digits, find the other cells with those same four digits, and then when it comes to a different year it finds cells with that year, and so on until it reaches a blank cell. I'm not going to include the sub I have just yet because I don't know that it's related to solving this particular problem, but I'll be happy to provide it later if requested. I'm hoping someone can tell me the best method to get started based on the information provided, and I can do further research from there. I'm not expecting anyone to write code for me although it is welcomed and appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Let's start with this, the following macro reads the data from column B and accumulates the values from column C, puts the result in E sums per year (4 digits).

varios 12jun2020.xlsm
ABCDEF
3YearNNValueResults
Hoja5

VBA Code:
Sub TestDic()
  Dim arr As Variant, i As Long, dic As Object

Set dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  'stores in an array all the data from columns B and C,
  'starting at B4 and up to the last row with data from column C.
  arr = Range("B4", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(3)).Value2

'cycle from 1 to the last value of array (a)
  For i = 1 To UBound(arr)
    'key(año), arr(i,1). i is the row of the array
    '1 is the column 1 of the array, represents column B
    '  = the value contained within the key + (acumulate) arr(i, 2) 2 represents column C
    dic(Left(arr(i, 1), 4)) = dic(Left(arr(i, 1), 4)) + arr(i, 2)
  Next

Range("E4").Resize(dic.Count, 2).Value = Application.Transpose(Array(dic.keys, dic.items))
End Sub

Upvote 0
I can't test it right now unfortunately, but that looks so much more elegant than what I was working on this afternoon. I think I can definitely work with that, but I'll check it tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. Thank you so so much for going through all that trouble!

Upvote 0
Let's start with this, the following macro reads the data from column B and accumulates the values from column C, puts the result in E sums per year (4 digits).

Sorry for the delayed response. I wasn't able to get back to my work computer over the weekend. That worked perfectly though. I'm going to modify it a bit to fit our needs, but that's just what I was looking to try and do for now. Thank you also for the detailed explanation!

Upvote 0
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back