VBA Find String in Range, Copy Cell in Same Row, Paste into Adjacent Cell

MattieP

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get this problem solved for a bit, and I keep feeling like I am over thinking it. I've searched a few different ways on the forums and tried to combine a few different types of codes together, but keep getting errors. From what I have gathered so far is that I am looking to find a specific string (that shows up multiple times) in column I, and if it exists in that cell, then take the cell in the same row in column A, and paste it into column B with an "N5" in front of it (which I also can't seem to find how to add into this). If it doesn't have this string in the cell, then do nothing. My sheet is a table that starts in row 4 (with headers in row 3), but I don't think I am needing to change anything because of that, but I can't seem to get this. Currently my code is below. Any help would be amazing.

Code:
    Dim li As Long    Dim i As Integer
    Dim N1 As String
    N1 = "ABCD"
    li = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("I" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 1 To li
    If UCase(Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 9).Value) = N1 Then
        Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 2).Value = Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 1).Offset(, 1).Value

End If
    Next i

As a reminder, if column I has "ABCD" in the cell, then on the same row, take column A and paste it into column B with "N5" in front of it (ie. column A is 123, and this if statement is true, then column B cell would be "N5123"). Please let me know if that makes sense, or if I am missing any information. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hi everyone,

As a reminder, if column I has "ABCD" in the cell, then on the same row, take column A and paste it into column B with "N5" in front of it (ie. column A is 123, and this if statement is true, then column B cell would be "N5123"). Please let me know if that makes sense, or if I am missing any information. Thanks!

If I understand you correctly:
if col B has an "N5" in front of it then copy-paste value col A to B and add an "N5" in front of it.
This is untested:

Code:
With Worksheets("Sheet1")
If UCase(.Cells(i, 9).Value) = N1 And Left(.Cells(i, 2).Value, 2) = "N5" Then
        .Cells(i, 2).Value = "N5" & .Cells(i, 1).Value
End If
End With

Upvote 0
If I understand you correctly:
if col B has an "N5" in front of it then copy-paste value col A to B and add an "N5" in front of it.
This is untested:

Code:
If UCase(.Cells(i, 9).Value) = N1 And Left(.Cells(i, 2).Value, 2) = "N5" Then
End If
End With

Close, If col I has "ABCD" as the entire cell contents, then take col A and paste it into col B with an "N5" in front of it. Looking at your code, it makes total sense up to the "And Left" where I wouldn't need that (since "N5" doesn't exist until it finds "ABCD"). Also, after trying to retrofit the code and removing that, I got it to work, but by instead of placing the Next i inside of the End With, I placed it outside. Here is what the code is now:

Code:
    Dim li As Long    Dim i As Integer
    Dim N1 As String
    N1 = "ABCD"
    li = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("I" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 1 To li

If UCase(.Cells(i, 9).Value) = N1 Then
    End If
    End With
    Next i

Akuini, you have save the day and some of my sanity. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Close, If col I has "ABCD" as the entire cell contents, then take col A and paste it into col B with an "N5" in front of it. Looking at your code, it makes total sense up to the "And Left" where I wouldn't need that (since "N5" doesn't exist until it finds "ABCD"). Also, after trying to retrofit the code and removing that, I got it to work, but by instead of placing the Next i inside of the End With, I placed it outside. Here is what the code is now:

Akuini, you have save the day and some of my sanity. Thanks so much!
You're welcome, glad you figured it out. :)

I misunderstood the "N5" part, I thought "N5" already exists in col B & that's the requirement.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back