VBA: Find the average of a column with a dynamic range

suremac

Greetings,

I have data in the range P14:P28. I wrote a macro that appends a new data point at P14 every time the macro is used, which increases the range of the column to P14:P29, and also calculates the average of the new range (P14:P29) in cell P31. The problem is that I need the formula to be dynamic, so that when another data point is appended to the table, the average of the newest range (P14:P30) is calculated in cell P32. When the macro is used again, another data point is added, the average is calculated over the range P14:P31 in cell P33, and so on and so forth.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
You can insert formula dynamically from Macro itself or even use worksheet function inside a macro as explained in this blog <Blog Link>

I have mentioned that you have a macro, please share us the code that you used to insert the formula, so that someone could work on a solution.

Upvote 0
Hi,

The part of the code that needs to be altered is:

Sub AveragePercentChange()
'Average Percent Change from 97-2012.
Cells(31, 16) = (Cells(14, 16) + Cells(15, 16) + Cells(16, 16) + Cells(17, 16) + Cells(18, 16) + Cells(19, 16) + Cells(20, 16) + Cells(21, 16) + Cells(22, 16) + Cells(23, 16) + Cells(24, 16) + Cells(25, 16) + Cells(26, 16) + Cells(27, 16) + Cells(28, 16) + Cells(29, 16)) / 16

End Sub

Hopefully there is some code that will enable me to not have to update the formula every time a new data point is added and the range of the column changes.

Upvote 0
Use this code.
Code:
Sub AveragePercentChange()
iRow = 14
Cell_val = Cells(iRow, 3)

While Cell_val <> ""
    iRow = iRow + 1
    Cell_val = Cells(iRow, 3)
Wend

Cells(iRow + 1, 3) = "=AVERAGE(C14:C" & iRow - 1 & ")"

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juggernaut24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back