VBA for Data Manipulation

VBABeginnerZ

Hello all, I am new to VBA and Macros, but want to start learning to write macros for some of repetitive duties. I’ve used the recorder but want to do more. My question is that some of my data I have to do a series of things for it to become readable then this data is imported into our system for month end. Is it worth it to write a macro for this? What are your suggestions ? For example, I have to get rid of page breaks and other items by using the filter function then deleting them out. What are your suggestions for this? I have to do a series of other things to the data to get it to the right format as well.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi and welcome,
when files are mostly in the same structure then it is worth writing a code or record a makro to do what needs to be done in regular basis.
But to learn VBA it is not as a quick and dirty thing it takes time so I asume to get started it is best to use the recorder and try to finetune it and understand what the makro does.
Then you can go step by step further into the world of VBA.

Upvote 0
Silentwolf, thanks for the feedback. I’ve been trying to write my own code for this report, but just wasn’t sure if it was worth it, and it was quite challenging. Took me a few hours to just get a few lines of code. I have gotten the hang of the macro recorder but I’ll definitely spend more time looking at the code once it’s recorded so I can understand it.

I’ve just found at work that we have to do repetitive tasks month and the reports we download aren’t the most user friendly so we end up spending lots of time manipulating the data to get it to what we need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back