VBA for Selecting a Cell From Input Box Text

FrenchCelt

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I'm trying to code a macro that will pop up an input box and then select a range with the text entered into that input box.

For example, if the user types "name1" into the input box, the macro will search for name1 in Column A and select that cell plus the six cells to the right (e.g. if the text is found in A35, the range selected would be A35:G35).

I should be able to code what I need to do next for that worksheet, but then I want to switch to a different worksheet and search Column C for the same text and select the entire row.

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Not sure how much help you need. This should find "Red" in column A from row 1 to 50 but as any part of the cell values. That is, John Red will qualify. You can actually select a range that an inputbox will use rather than type it in if that would make a difference. You'd change ("A1:A50") to be the value that was typed into the inputbox. This code is in a standard module, not a sheet module. That way it could work for any sheet.
VBA Code:
Dim rng As Range

With ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A50")
    Set rng = .Find("Red", LookIn:=xlValues)
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then
        Range(rng.Address, rng.Offset(0, 6)).Select
    End If
End With

Upvote 0
Change references where required.
Code:
Sub Or_So()
    Sheets("Sheet1").Columns(1).Find(Application.InputBox("Find Value", "Enter a value to find in column A.", , , , , , 2)).Resize(, 7).Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Sheets("Sheet1").Columns(1).Find(Application.InputBox("Find Value", "Enter a value to find in column A.", , , , , , 2)).Resize(, 7).Select

Thanks, this did exactly what I wanted for the first part. I guess the way it's coded precludes doing the second part, which is to then look for the same text in a different worksheet, but I can probably build a workaround.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back