VBA FOR VERY FIRST ACTION?

G-fer

Board Regular
Hi Folks ...

I have a workbook with a DDE feed that takes 90 seconds to open due to the feed. While this is happening, there is no indication of any activity, so I don't know whether the system is frozen or the feed is just slow today.

I've tried to display a message box between the time the worksheet starts to open and the time the feed starts by making the messagebox the first item in a workbook_open sub.

Didn't work though .... message appeared after the feed was established.

Any ideas about how I can get the message box to appear first up? I can flesh it out with some sort of useful code once I can make that happen.

Regards .... G-fer.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Well. If the code in your workbook open procedure runs afetrwards, there is really not a respondent method using code. I would instead create a modeless userform and, if possible, set up your DDE links via code.

Upvote 0
Hi Tom ...

Sorry... I'm not sure that I understand. Are you saying to makes the spreadsheet so that it doesn't access the DDE feed immediately, and then to load the cells that use the feed using VBE, perhaps starting the process with a command button or something.

Example; Open workbook>load all the relevant cells using VBE> proceed as usual.

Regards .... G-fer.

Upvote 0
I suppose. I really don't know what else to tell you right now. Can you update the links manually?

Upvote 0
Hi Tom ...

Well, there are about 10 or so columns that link to the feed. Each column is some 250 or so cells deep. Column D, Cell 13 for example, is something like

=RTD("PulseMO.SecField", , "ValueTraded", C13)

C13 to C250 contain a different share symbol.

I can delete all of the rows below row 13 every night, and then open up next morning with the feed only affecting 1 row across 10 columns. It will open much faster this way. Then I need to copy and paste the deleted rows back after the workbook has been opened.

Pretty cumbersome eh ...

G-fer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back