VBA Formula Adding Single Quotes to Result

daboujibo

Hello.

I apologize if this has been asked in the past, but I cannot find a question/answer to this particular situation. I may be using the wrong search criteria, so I apologize if there is already help for this type of situation.

I am trying to do the following:

1. Loop through a column from the bottom to the top to find the next empty cell.
  2. Then if that is TRUE, I need to identify the next cell above it that is not empty.
  3. Then I need to enter a formula into the blank cell found in #1
  4. Then loop again until I reach cell B26 (will be B1 once I get this part working)

The reason for doing #1 from the last row to the top is that I need to find an empty cell, but then enter a formula that requires the next filled cell above that empty cell and will continue that way for each blank cell. Example is the table below for columns A and B. #1 should find cell B3 as the first empty cell, then do the calculation in B3 with the value in B1.

A
B

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'm having a problem with line below displaying the value "=SUM(VLOOKUP(Q30,Triggers,14,FALSE) *'B25'" instead of "=SUM(VLOOKUP(Q30,Triggers,14,FALSE) *B25". (Q30 changes as the code loops as does B25.) It is adding single quotes around the last cell reference in the formula.

.Cells(iRow, 2).Formula = "=SUM(VLOOKUP(RC[15],Triggers,14,FALSE)*B" & kCell & ")"

Is there something wrong with the syntax? Is there a better way to accomplish this? I can just run a find/replace function afterwards to remove the single quotes, but I was hoping there was a way to get the code to display what I want the first time.

Thank you to any help that you can provide. Have a great day!

~Chris

Code:
Sub TESTFindBlankRow()
    Dim iRow As Integer
    Dim kCell As Integer
    Dim lastRow As Integer 'Last Row with a value in column A

With Worksheets("TestSheet")

lastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row   'This gives the last Row with a nonempty cell in column A

For iRow = lastRow To 26 Step -1
                If IsEmpty(.Cells(iRow, 2)) Then

kCell = .Cells(iRow, 2).End(xlUp).Row
                    .Cells(iRow, 2).Formula = "=SUM(VLOOKUP(RC[15],Triggers,14,FALSE))*B" & kCell & ")"

End If
        Next iRow

End With
End Sub

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Good day.

In addition, I'm working with Column C as well. However, instead of returning "...* 'C23'), it is returning "...* '$V:$V') as if I am asking for column 23 not column C in the reference. It only happens with C. I can imagine it would happen with column "R" as well but treat it as row instead of the column. Can someone help with that as well? Or should I post that as a separate question?

Thank you for your help.

~Chris

Upvote 0
Chris

Your formula uses both A1 and R1C1 notation, you can't use both in the same formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back