VBA Formula Error

Jetx227

Board Regular
Hi Guys!
I'm just trying to make a for loop that adds a formula to a cell and I keep running an error on that line so I think I typed it in wrong, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with some quotation marks I used, but I've used VBA to create a formula in a sheet before so if someone could just look it over and let me know where I messed up and why that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is the line:
VBA Code:
Worksheets(1).Range("J" & CStr(Row)).Formula = "=IF(OR(C" & CStr(Row) & "= """",(C" & CStr(Row) & "-I" & CStr(Row) & ")=0, ""NA"","" SUM(E" & CStr(Row) & "*0.1*1,F" & CStr(Row) & "*0.2*2,G" & CStr(Row) & "0.3*3, H" & CStr(Row) & "0.4*4)/SUM(E" & CStr(Row) & "*0.1, F" & CStr(Row) & "*0.2, G" & CStr(Row) & "*0.3, H" & CStr(Row) & "*0.4))"

This is an example of what the formula should look like after:
VBA Code:
=IF(OR(C17="", (C17-I17)=0), "NA", SUM(E17*0.1*1,F17*0.2*2,G17*0.3*3,H17*0.4*4)/SUM(E17*0.1,F17*0.2,G17*0.3,H17*0.4))

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
One thing I noticed is that you could be dividing by 0 if the divisor sum = 0.

Upvote 0
One thing I noticed is that you could be dividing by 0 if the divisor sum = 0.
Thats why I used an IF statement with the "NA" condition at the beginning. The cell that it's referencing is a subtotal of sorts. So if that is 0 then sum would never run. Thanks for the input though!

Upvote 0
How about
VBA Code:
    Worksheets(1).Range("J" & CStr(Row)).FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=IF(OR(RC[-7]="""", (RC[-7]-RC[-1])=0), ""NA"", SUM(RC[-5]*0.1*1,RC[-4]*0.2*2,RC[-3]*0.3*3,RC[-2]*0.4*4)/SUM(RC[-5]*0.1,RC[-4]*0.2,RC[-3]*0.3,RC[-2]*0.4))"
I would also advise against using VBA keywords (such as Row) for the names of variables.

Upvote 0
How about
VBA Code:
    Worksheets(1).Range("J" & CStr(Row)).FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=IF(OR(RC[-7]="""", (RC[-7]-RC[-1])=0), ""NA"", SUM(RC[-5]*0.1*1,RC[-4]*0.2*2,RC[-3]*0.3*3,RC[-2]*0.4*4)/SUM(RC[-5]*0.1,RC[-4]*0.2,RC[-3]*0.3,RC[-2]*0.4))"
I would also advise against using VBA keywords (such as Row) for the names of variables.
Works perfect! I've never seen the FormulaR1C1 before, will definitely use this from now on. And yeah, its not actually "Row", I just changed it in the example so it would be clear what I was using for that variable value. Thank you!!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back