VBA from Jet database vs VBA from SQL

richertt

Hello everyone,

At work, we have a MRP system using a jet database backend where I pull various information an bring into Excel thru VBA. Recently, the Jet database was migrated over to SQL. Now my VBA is broken. Specifically, the "Where" and "And" statements. If I remove the two line, I pull data from SQL just fine. I'm sure its just a syntax error but I don't have a clue what it should look like. I have many VBA projects with similar code so fixing this should help fix 20 more. Please help!

Const JET As String = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=\\vm-server\MRP Target\MiniMRP5\data\MRP5Data; Persist Security Info=False;"
Const SQL As String = "Provider=MSOLEDBSQL;Server=vm-server;Database=minimrp_db5;UID=sa;PWD=Angel0A;"

Sub BOM()

Dim Conn As Object
Dim Data As Object
Dim Field As Object

Set Conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set Data = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Conn.ConnectionString = SQL
Conn.Open

On Error GoTo CloseConnection

With Data
.ActiveConnection = Conn
.Source = getSQLString
.LockType = 1
.CursorType = 0
.Open
End With

On Error GoTo CloseRecordset

Worksheets.Add
For Each Field In Data.Fields
ActiveCell.Value = Field.Name
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Select

Next Field

Range("A1").Select
Range("A2").CopyFromRecordset Data
Range("A1").CurrentRegion.EntireColumn.AutoFit

On Error GoTo 0

CloseRecordset:
Data.Close

CloseConnection:
Conn.Close
'___________________________________________________

Function getSQLString() As String
Dim PCA As String
Dim REV As String
Dim SQLstring As String

PCA = InputBox("Enter PCA #")
REV = InputBox("Enter REV")

SQLstring = "SELECT tblUsedIn.LineItemNo, tblStockItems_1.MasterPNo, tblStockItems_1.ItemDescription, tblUsedIn.QtyPer, tblUsedIn.RefText " & _
"FROM tblStockItems AS tblStockItems_1 INNER JOIN (tblStockItems INNER JOIN tblUsedIn ON tblStockItems.ItemID = tblUsedIn.ParentID) ON tblStockItems_1.ItemID = tblUsedIn.ChildID " & _
"where tblStockItems.MasterPNo = """ & PCA & """" & _
"and tblStockItems.Rev = """ & REV & """" & _
"order by tblUsedIn.LineItemNo"

getSQLString = SQLstring

End Function

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
What happens if you debug.print or message the sql string to check for spacing and quotation marks to make sure it is being correctly constructed
you can also copy the resultant string into your sql query interface to see if it executes

Upvote 0
What happens if you debug.print or message the sql string to check for spacing and quotation marks to make sure it is being correctly constructed
you can also copy the resultant string into your sql query interface to see if it executes
The data I enter into my input boxes correctly display in the immediate window when I debug.print. If I replace """ & PCA & """" and """ & REV & """" with the actual values, the code works fine.

Upvote 0
The data I enter into my input boxes correctly display in the immediate window when I debug.print. If I replace """ & PCA & """" and """ & REV & """" with the actual values, the code works fine.
Something else just occurred to me. In a jet database my input is surrounded by " ". in SQL, my input needs to be surrounded by ' '. The problem is, when I use ', VBA thinks its a comment. How do I code an ' in VBA?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back