(VBA) Going to a worksheet with the name of a cell in another worksheet

Bassie

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everyone

I have searched the whole internet for this seemingly very simple problem (its probably not going to be simple at all)

So I have two workbooks:
workbook X with cell A2 with a name
And workbook Y with that same name (from A2 in X) as a worksheet name (multiple names/sheets get added so thats why i rather not have this hardcoded)

I am wondering if its possible to have a text in cell A2 in workbook X and then open workbook Y and have the sheetname with the text in A2 (X) open.

So for example A2 in Workbook Y = Coffee
So it will go to workbook X and go to the sheet thats called Coffee

I hope I made it easy to understand. Sorry if i caused any confusion and many thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
VBA Code:
Sub Bassie()
     Dim WB As Workbook, sh As Worksheet, WBY, sshName

myworkbooky = "C:\Users\Eigenaar\Downloads\koffie.xlsx"    'workbook Y with path
     sp = Split(myworkbooky, "\")
     WBY = sp(UBound(sp))                                       'workbooky name

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("blad3").Range("A1")              '--> the cell with the name of the sheet in workbook Y
          If Len(.Value) = 0 Then MsgBox "sorry", vbCritical: Exit Sub
          sshName = CStr(.Value)                                'convert to a string, in case it was a number
     End With

' If IsError(Evaluate("ISREF('[" & wby & "]" & sshname & "'!$A$1)")) Then     'test of workbook Y is already open and the sheet accessible
     On Error Resume Next
     Windows(WBY).Activate                                      'try to go to the workbook Y
     If Err.Number = 9 Then                                     'no succes
          Err.Clear
          Set WB = GetObject(myworkbooky)                       'open workbook Y
          Windows(WBY).Activate                                 'should now be open, try to workbook Y
          If Err.Number = 9 Then MsgBox "can't open " & WBY, vbCritical: Exit Sub     'still not ok = end of story
     End If

Set sh = Sheets(sshName)                                   'now try referring to the sheet
     If sh Is Nothing Then MsgBox "no sheet " & sshName, vbCritical: Exit Sub     'that sheetname doesn't exist
     On Error GoTo 0

Application.Goto Sheets(sshName).Range("A1")               'goto that cell in your sheet

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
VBA Code:
Sub Bassie()

myworkbooky = "C:\Users\Eigenaar\Downloads\koffie.xlsx"    'workbook Y with path

With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("blad3").Range("A1")              '--> the cell with the name of the sheet in workbook Y
          sshName = CStr(.Value)                                'convert to a string, in case it was a number
     End With

' If IsError(Evaluate("ISREF('[" & wby & "]" & sshname & "'!$A$1)")) Then     'test of workbook Y is already open and the sheet accessible
     On Error Resume Next
     Windows(WBY).Activate                                      'try to go to the workbook Y
          Err.Clear
          Windows(WBY).Activate                                 'should now be open, try to workbook Y
          If Err.Number = 9 Then MsgBox "can't open " & WBY, vbCritical: Exit Sub     'still not ok = end of story
     End If

Set sh = Sheets(sshName)                                   'now try referring to the sheet
     If sh Is Nothing Then MsgBox "no sheet " & sshName, vbCritical: Exit Sub     'that sheetname doesn't exist
     On Error GoTo 0

Application.Goto Sheets(sshName).Range("A1")               'goto that cell in your sheet

End Sub
Genius!! thank you so much!

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub Bassie()

End With

On Error Resume Next
          Err.Clear
     End If

On Error GoTo 0

End Sub
Hey,

Again the code helps me a ton. I love it when I filled in the wrong name and I got an error that I filled in the wrong name instead of a general error.

Sometimes when I run the code though I get a "User-defined type not defined" what can this be?

Many thanks again!

Upvote 0
perhaps you used illegal characters ???
Can you give an example.

Hey I think it was because I used the button wrong that I pasted the code under. It works fine now though! thanks again!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back