vba: How do i figure out what cell at which panes are frozen with FreezePanes?

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Have looked into this a bit but do not see how to determine on which cell the panes are frozen if FreezePanes=True for a particular worksheet.

The ActiveWindow seems to have a SplitRow and SplitColumn property, but that is for Split Panes not FreezePanes.

The ActiveWindow.Pane has a VisibleRange property, but this depends on where the pane is scrolled to and does not necessarily indicate the intersecting cell of the panes.

What i want to find out is the cell that will be selected if you were to hit Ctl-Home in the user interface. But, this is recorded as something like Range("A2"). Select. In other words, I do not see a way to duplicate the behavior of Ctl-Home in code.

Any help with this? "how to find the cell at which the FreezePanes command was originally done on a worksheet" (in order to duplicate it elsewhere in code).

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Something like this maybe:
VBA Code:
Sub Test()

MsgBox Cells(FreezeRow(ActiveWindow), FreezeColumn(ActiveWindow)).Address

End Sub

Function FreezeRow(ByVal Wn As Window) As Long
    If Wn.FreezePanes Then
        FreezeRow = Wn.Panes(1).VisibleRange.Rows.Count + 1
    End If
End Function

Function FreezeColumn(ByVal Wn As Window) As Long
    If Wn.FreezePanes Then
        FreezeColumn = Wn.Panes(1).VisibleRange.Columns.Count + 1
    End If
End Function

Upvote 0
Looks like .SplitRow and .SplitColumn return the row and column of the cell above and to the left of the freeze.

Upvote 0
The following from : excel vba code for Ctrl+Home - Google Search
VBA Code:
Application.Goto Cells(ActiveWindow.ScrollRow, ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn), 1
Thanks much! Did a few Google searches but did not phrase it as search for Ctl-Home. Too bad VBA does not record it that way!
But that simple 1-liner does the trick so it will serve the purpose in my code.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
But that simple 1-liner does the trick so it will serve the purpose in my code.
Are you sure?
I think that will only work if you are already scrolled up & left as far as possible.
For example in the image below I had scrolled down and right some distance and then ran the post 2 code. The code took me to O35, not D5 which is where my Freeze Panes are.

1586157717673.png

Upvote 0
Are you sure?
I think that will only work if you are already scrolled up & left as far as possible.
For example in the image below I had scrolled down and right some distance and then ran the post 2 code. The code took me to O35, not D5 which is where my Freeze Panes are.

View attachment 10607
This may work :
VBA Code:
ActiveWindow.ScrollRow = 1
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 1
Application.Goto Cells(ActiveWindow.ScrollRow, ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn), 1

But I think Jaafar Tribak's suggestion is better.

Upvote 0
If the windows was scrolled away from A1 before freezing panes (that is, the top left pane does not show cell A1), then Jafar's suggestion does not work.

Any suggestion that uses Application.Goto changes what the active cell is and where the main pane is scrolled to, and may disturb the user's experience.

We can modify Jafar's suggestion:

VBA Code:
With ActiveWindow
    Set FreezeCell = ActiveSheet.Cells(.Panes(1).ScrollRow + .SplitRow, .Panes(1).ScrollColumn + .SplitColumn)
End With

Upvote 0
YES. Upon further testing in more circumstances....Indeed it turns out that the 1-line trick does not work always. It is dependent upon how the window happens to be scrolled. If the window is scrolled up and to the left (to rows 1,2,3,..and columns A,B,C...) it works. But if that is not the scroll of the window, then the 1-liner does not have the same behavior of Ctl-Home. I'll experiment with some of the others.

Thanks all for attention to this. Small thing in the UI (I use Ctl-Home all the time!) but harder to do in code.

Upvote 0
If the windows was scrolled away from A1 before freezing panes (that is, the top left pane does not show cell A1), then Jafar's suggestion does not work.

Any suggestion that uses Application.Goto changes what the active cell is and where the main pane is scrolled to, and may disturb the user's experience.

We can modify Jafar's suggestion:

VBA Code:
With ActiveWindow
    Set FreezeCell = ActiveSheet.Cells(.Panes(1).ScrollRow + .SplitRow, .Panes(1).ScrollColumn + .SplitColumn)
End With
Yes, i confirmed that the above code will find the right cell regardless of where the window happened to be scrolled to before the code is executed. So, thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back