VBA: how to skip a RANGE of columns when exporting to .TXT?

ogassav

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear community,

I have an Excel table to be exported to TXT in Unicode encoding with data separated by tabs (these 2 criteria are important) and i want to skip the range of columns: from C to G. Everything that is before C and after G should be exported.

Which VBA code will be able to do that? It will be good if i'm able to choose the destination folder where the resulting TXT file will be saved.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Thank you! , when macros is run i get the following message: Run-time error '1004': Method 'Save As' of object '_Workbook' failed. What do you think is wrong?

Did you change the path and filename accordingly? If so, did you make sure it was a valid path to your folder and file?

Upvote 0
The following code has been amended so that the user gets prompted for a filename...

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub Export_to_UTF_16_LE()

Dim saveas_filename As Variant
    saveas_filename = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(FileFilter:="Unicode Text (*.txt), *.txt", Title:="SaveAs")
    If saveas_filename = False Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        .DisplayAlerts = False
    End With

ActiveSheet.Copy

Rows(1).Delete

Columns("C:G").Delete

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=saveas_filename, FileFormat:=xlUnicodeText

ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = True
        .DisplayAlerts = True
    End With

MsgBox "Your sheet has been exported!", vbExclamation, "Sheet Exported"

End Sub

Does this help?

Upvote 0
Hi Domenic

the sheet is exported now, however there's one bug which appears in every TXT file. :unsure:

Here's the link to XLSM file with your macro already integrated and with test input data in the cells. As you see column "L" contains CONCATENATE formula which gathers all the data from columns "C-G". This is actually the reason why these columns should not be exported to TXT, as they are temporary ones.

Column "L" should be exported, however there's a #REF! text in the resulting TXT file, instead of actual data from this column. Here's the screenshot:

10_185642.jpg

What could have caused this strange bug? ?

Upvote 0
I haven't looked at your sample workbook, but it looks like we simply need to convert formulas into values before exporting the worksheet...

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        .DisplayAlerts = False
    End With

ActiveSheet.Copy

With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
        .Value = .Value
    End With

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Users\Domenic\Desktop\sample.txt", FileFormat:=xlUnicodeText

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = True
        .DisplayAlerts = True
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi @Domenic

thank you so much, now it works exactly as it should - appreciate your help! The only question that is left is the TXT file size: it's 10.8kb vs. 5.65kb compared to the one created using code from @MoshiM (same excel sheet was used in export of course!).

I checked why's that and i guess the reason is that your code exports all rows, including empty ones. For this reason the resulting TXT contains all the necessary data on the top (with columns divided by tabs) and an empty space below this data. This empty space consists of the same number of columns (of course) divided by tabs, but there's no data there, as if someone just pressed "Space" button when filled in those cells in Excel.

Is there a way to ignore empty rows in export?

Upvote 0
UPD:

What came to my mind is that the problem of export of empty cells could have been caused by presence of formulas in certain rows?

I may be mistaken, of course, but VBA code in its current version possibly can't distinguish formula from "real" data, and as a result - exports it too.

Just an assumption...

Upvote 0
Actually, when I tested both methods, the 2 files had the same size. So I'm not sure why it's different for you. I did notice, though, in going through this thread again, in my last post I posted the wrong version of my code. It excluded the deletion of the first row (and the prompting of the user to save the file). Maybe you caught it and already made the amendments. Just in case, the code should be as follows. Does this help?

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Dim saveas_filename As Variant
    saveas_filename = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(FileFilter:="Unicode Text (*.txt), *.txt", Title:="SaveAs")
    If saveas_filename = False Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        .DisplayAlerts = False
    End With

ActiveSheet.Copy

With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
        .Value = .Value
    End With

Rows(1).Delete

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=saveas_filename, FileFormat:=xlUnicodeText

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = True
        .DisplayAlerts = True
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Domenic, sure i noticed that and my code contained those lines (as i've started to understand a little which line means what).
Could you please try your code with Excel file i've shared a couple of posts above? If it will work for you possibly smth is wrong on my side.
Just please check that only lines with data are exported, nothing more. And make sure to fill in Tag1 Tag2 columns (those we skip in VBA export), as exactly they are used in CONCATENATE formula in the very last column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back