VBA - Index Match Functions - when calling getting "ByRef argument type mismatch"

kpaull

When running this code below the VBE highlights ImportSheetRange in this line: "ReturnValue = Indexmatch(strSKUEntered, ImportSheetRange, ExportSheetRange)" and spits the error "ByRef argument type mismatch".

Any help.

Running Excel 365 / Window 7.

Thanks!

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim kpResults, datExportDate, strImportDate1, strImportDate2, strSKUEntered As String
    Dim ImportSheetRange, ExportSheetRange As Range
    Dim ReturnValue As Variant

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        .EnableEvents = False
        .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
        .DisplayAlerts = False
    End With

'Prompt for SKU - provide default value as a guide/mask and allow to click on SKU in spreadsheet instead of typing in value

strSKUEntered = Application.InputBox("Enter a SKU to process", , "242738-797-REM", , , , Type:=2)

'Find SKU on Export Worksheet, write -3 columns cell value (Date) to a variable
'Worksheet function formula in SS = =INDEX(Import!$A$2:$O$250000,SMALL(IF(Import!$A:$A=$D$452,ROW($A:$A)),ROW(1:1))-1,15)

Set ImportSheetRange = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Import").Range("A2:P100000")
        Set ExportSheetRange = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Export").Range("A2:E100000")

ReturnValue = Indexmatch(strSKUEntered, ImportSheetRange, ExportSheetRange)

Debug.Print ReturnValue

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = True
        .EnableEvents = True
        .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
        .DisplayAlerts = True
    End With

End Sub

Function Indexmatch(LookFor As String, SearchRng As Range, ReturnRng As Range) As Variant

Application.Volatile

Indexmatch = WorksheetFunction.Index(ReturnRng, WorksheetFunction.Match(LookFor, SearchRng, 0), 0)

End Function

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
When declaring multiple variables on a single line on the last one will have the stated type all others will be type variant unless explicated declared

So importsheetrange will be variant not range

Same with your string variables

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The second parameter of Match, lookup_array (SearchRng in the Indexmatch function), must be a one-dimensional range or array. It seems the code is calling the function using a two-dimensional range, i.e., ImportSheetRange (A2:P100000)

Also the last parameter, 0, doesn't seem correct - in this case i think you should use a column number

M.

Upvote 0
The second parameter of Match, lookup_array (SearchRng in the Indexmatch function), must be a one-dimensional range or array. It seems the code is calling the function using a two-dimensional range, i.e., ImportSheetRange (A2:P100000)

Also, the last parameter, 0, doesn't seem correct - in this case i think you should use a column number

M.

Thank you, Marcelo! I made the adjustments you suggested in my code below, marked in Red text. Still get the same error on arrImportSheet array.

Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim kpResults, datExportDate, strImportDate1, strImportDate2, strSKUEntered As String
    Dim ExportSheetRange As Range
    Dim arrImportSheet(10) As String
    Dim ReturnValue As Variant

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = False
        .EnableEvents = False
        .Calculation = xlCalculationManual
        .DisplayAlerts = False
    End With

'Prompt for SKU - provide default value as a guide/mask and allow to click on SKU in spreadsheet instead of typing in value

strSKUEntered = Application.InputBox("Enter a SKU to process", , "242738-797-REM", , , , Type:=2)

'Find SKU on Export Worksheet, write -3 columns cell value (Date) to a variable
'Worksheet function formula in SS = =INDEX(Import!$A$2:$O$250000,SMALL(IF(Import!$A:$A=$D$452,ROW($A:$A)),ROW(1:1))-1,15)

Set ExportSheetRange = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Export").Range("A2:E100000")

ReturnValue = Indexmatch(strSKUEntered, arrImportSheet, ExportSheetRange)

Debug.Print ReturnValue

With Application
        .ScreenUpdating = True
        .EnableEvents = True
        .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
        .DisplayAlerts = True
    End With

End Sub

Function Indexmatch(LookFor As String, SearchRng As Range, ReturnRng As Range) As Variant

Application.Volatile

Indexmatch = WorksheetFunction.Index(ReturnRng, WorksheetFunction.Match(LookFor, SearchRng, 1), 0)

End Function

Upvote 0
Thank you for your quick reply jimrward!

As I understand it "Function Indexmatch(LookFor As String, SearchRng As Range, ReturnRng As Range) As Variant" means...

The return value will be in Indexmatcxh and it will be a Variant.

The variables mentioned are as mentioned.

I could be mistaken.

Upvote 0
When declaring multiple variables on a single line on the last one will have the stated type all others will be type variant unless explicated declared

So importsheetrange will be variant not range

Same with your string variables
Thank you for your quick reply jimrward!

As I understand it "Function Indexmatch(LookFor As String, SearchRng As Range, ReturnRng As Range) As Variant" means...

The return value will be in Indexmatcxh and it will be a Variant.

The variables mentioned are as mentioned.

I could be mistaken.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back