VBA insert variable number of rows and copy data

kweaver

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
I have data that looks like the following:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW
1NameDeptHead3Head4Head5Head6Head7Head8Head9Head10Head11Head12Head13Head14Head15RegOTDTother1other2other3other4other5
2KevinAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data00600000
3MaryBBBOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data80500300
4JohnCCCOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data05000000
5WillilamAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data00000090
6SusanDDDOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data50000000.5
7ChelseaAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data106100.5000
Sheet1

Below each row I need to insert a number of rows based on how many values from P to W are greater than 0.
Then, replicate the rows from columns A to O and show the column headings from P1 to W1 and the corresponding non-zero data so that the result looks like the following:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
10NameDeptHead3Head4Head5Head6Head7Head8Head9Head10Head11Head12Head13Head14Head15Result1Result2
11KevinAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data6DT
12MaryBBBOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data8Reg
13MaryBBBOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data5DT
14MaryBBBOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data3other3
15JohnCCCOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data5OT
16WillilamAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data9other4
17SusanDDDOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data5Reg
18SusanDDDOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data0.5other5
19ChelseaAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data10Reg
20ChelseaAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data6OT
21ChelseaAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data1DT
22ChelseaAAAOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_DataOther_Data0.5other2
Sheet1

In other words, I want to show only the non-zero values from each row's columns P through W, and indicate where they came from (Row 1 headings in P through W)
And duplicate the data (e.g. Mary's columns A through O are duplicaded twice because there are three non-zero values in P through W).

SIGH. Hope that's fairly clear.

It should be done in VBA and the resulting array of data can be on a new sheet.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I would probably have used Power Query to do this.

If you are happy with a slightly long-winded solution try this.
I am outputting to Sheet2 and as it stands the sheet needs to exist.

VBA Code:
Sub TransposeData()

Dim srcRng As Range
    Dim arrSrc As Variant
    Dim outRng As Range
    Dim srcSht As Worksheet
    Dim outSht As Worksheet
    Dim iRow As Long, iCol As Long, iOutRow As Long
    Dim iLastCol As Long, iFixedCol As Long, iValCol As Long, j As Long
    Dim arrOut As Variant

Set srcSht = Worksheets("Sheet1")               ' <---- Change Sheet name as required
    Set outSht = Worksheets("Sheet2")               ' <---- Change Sheet name as required
    Set srcRng = srcSht.Range("A1").CurrentRegion
    arrSrc = srcRng
    iLastCol = srcRng.Columns.Count
    iFixedCol = 15
    iValCol = iLastCol - iFixedCol

ReDim arrOut(1 To iFixedCol * iValCol, 1 To iFixedCol + 2)
    iOutRow = 0

' Read source data
    For iRow = 2 To UBound(arrSrc)
        ' Loop through the Value Columns
        For iCol = iFixedCol + 1 To iLastCol
            ' Capture non-Zero value columns
            If arrSrc(iRow, iCol) <> 0 Then
                iOutRow = iOutRow + 1
                For j = 1 To iFixedCol
                    arrOut(iOutRow, j) = arrSrc(iRow, j)
                Next j
                arrOut(iOutRow, iFixedCol + 1) = arrSrc(iRow, iCol)
                arrOut(iOutRow, iFixedCol + 2) = arrSrc(1, iCol)
            End If
        Next iCol
    Next iRow

' Output non-zero rows
    outSht.Range("A2").Resize(UBound(arrOut, 1), UBound(arrOut, 2)) = arrOut
    ' Output the headings
    For j = 1 To iFixedCol
        outSht.Cells(1, j) = arrSrc(1, j)
    Next j
    outSht.Cells(1, iFixedCol + 1) = "Result1"
    outSht.Cells(1, iFixedCol + 2) = "Result2"

End Sub

Upvote 0
THANK YOU for taking a shot at this.
I just started to examine and run it but got a "Subscript out of range" error here:

1639235183901.png

Upvote 0
Alex: it worked on the sample data I used in my OP, but not on the real data sheet.

In the real data there are some rows that have all zeros in P through W...does that make a difference?

Upvote 0
Alex: if this helps (didn't help me) this is the status at the error.

1639238885074.png

Upvote 0
How about
VBA Code:
Sub kweaver()
   Dim Ary As Variant, Nary As Variant
   Dim r As Long, c As Long, nr As Long, nc As Long

Ary = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Value2
   ReDim Nary(1 To UBound(Ary) * (UBound(Ary, 2) - 15), 1 To 17)

For r = 2 To UBound(Ary)
      For c = 16 To UBound(Ary, 2)
         If Ary(r, c) > 0 Then
            nr = nr + 1
            For nc = 1 To 15
               Nary(nr, nc) = Ary(r, nc)
            Next nc
            Nary(nr, 16) = Ary(r, c)
            Nary(nr, 17) = Ary(1, c)
         End If
      Next c
   Next r
   With Sheets("Sheet2")
      .Range("A1:O1").Value = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:O1").Value
      .Range("P1:Q1").Value = Array("Result1", "Result2")
      .Range("A2").Resize(nr, 17).Value = Nary
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Fluff...looks GREAT (of course). Thank you for your help again!!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Alex: if this helps (didn't help me) this is the status at the error.
I know Fluff has provided you with the solution but as a contributing member yourself, you can appreciate that once you buy into a question you like to get your own contribution to work.
So I really appreciate your excellent troubleshooting images in your post #6 and it did indeed help. The immediate window image showed me that when you had more rows my redim was using a static number of 120 whereas it should have expanded.
Fluff is using a Redim of Total Rows * Total Columns.
ReDim Nary(1 To UBound(Ary) * (UBound(Ary, 2) - 15), 1 To 17)
I was trying to keep it smaller with Total Rows * No of Value Columns. I suspect the extra empty space used in the more generic method doesn't matter much and allows the code to be used as a template.
My code should have been:
ReDim arrOut(1 To UBound(arrSrc) * iValCol, 1 To iFixedCol + 2)

I also noticed that Fluff used Value2 rather than Value and for this sort of thing Value2 is probably better.

I tried to code it so that if you add more Value columns the code would work unchanged and if you change the number of fixed (columns of data to repeat) all you had to do was change this line. iFixedCol = 15

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back