VBA lookup cell address with Match inside macro to place a variable number

Rlumpy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am fairly new to VBA and have spent 3 days trying to figure this out. Seems like it should be simple but I can't find much online for my specific task.
I'm trying to find if a pipe is out of roundness (Ovality) and I am using this to Enter 4 radius dimensions, add them for diameters and perform the Dmax-Dmin/Dmax+Dmin * 2
I was trying to use the PIPE variable to lookup the cell address in my Column A:A for ROW, and place OvMath number into (that lookup ROW, column AJ) but the syntax/coding boggles me.
I can't find much online to show me proper wording to use inside VBA which works perfectly in plain Excel.
The issues I would hope someone can help is with line : Range(ADDRESS(MATCH(Pipe, Range("A:A"),0),COLUMN("AJ:AJ")).value = and I can place the OvMath into this from inside this macro, I would not have to insert anything into Excel and then recall it.

I hope this makes sense and that someone can help me write: Lookup PIPE's ROW in column A:A and then place OvMath into that lookup ROW and Column AJ using VBA coding.
Pipe = Me.t_Pipe.Value
Top = Me.t_Top.Value
Bot = Me.t_Bot.Value
Lf = Me.t_Lf.Value
Rt = Me.t_Rt.Value
dX = Lf + Rt
dY = Top + Bot
OvMath = 2 * ((WorksheetFunction.Max(dX, dY) - WorksheetFunction.Min(dX, dY)) / (WorksheetFunction.Max(dX, dY) + WorksheetFunction.Min(dX, dY)))
'OvCell = Range(WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Pipe, Range("A16:A200"), 1, False))
'these values I just placed in the worksheet to check that the math was working except for PIPE, I had to use it for Cell Address Lookup
Range("BI4").Value = Pipe
Range("BI5").Value = dX
Range("BI6").Value = dY
Range("BI7").Value = OvMath
'If I can figure out the lower formula to use in the VBA I won't have to insert and call back anything from Excel sheet
OvCell = Range("BI8").Value
Range(OvCell).Value = OvMath
'This line is from below trying to test my scenario
'Range(ADDRESS(MATCH(Pipe, Range("A:A"),0),COLUMN("AJ:AJ")).value = 2 * ((WorksheetFunction.Max(dX, dY) - WorksheetFunction.Min(dX, dY)) / (WorksheetFunction.Max(dX, dY) + WorksheetFunction.Min(dX, dY)))

'this next line's part before the "=" is from a recorded macro that doesn't seem to help me any, I tried to edit it above but it won't take.
'ADDRESS(MATCH(R[-8]C[-9],C[-60],0),COLUMN(C[-25])) = 2 * ((WorksheetFunction.Max(dX, dY) - WorksheetFunction.Min(dX, dY)) / (WorksheetFunction.Max(dX, dY) + WorksheetFunction.Min(dX, dY)))
Unload Me
End Sub

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Welcome!
Range(ADDRESS(MATCH(Pipe, Range("A:A"),0),COLUMN("AJ:AJ")).value
This definitely looks weird to me too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're searching for a value in column A, and then writing the result of your equation to the corresponding row in column AJ.

In my opinion a much more readable way to do that is to use .Cells which allows you to specify a row and column as a number. So, find the row of your match in column A, and then write to the cell in the matched row in column 36. Try starting with
VBA Code:
    Dim rowMatch As Long
    rowMatch= Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Pipe, SheetName.Range("A:A"), 0)
    SheetName.Cells(rowMatch, 36).Value = "... equation here ..." 'column 36 = column AJ

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome!

This definitely looks weird to me too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're searching for a value in column A, and then writing the result of your equation to the corresponding row in column AJ.

In my opinion a much more readable way to do that is to use .Cells which allows you to specify a row and column as a number. So, find the row of your match in column A, and then write to the cell in the matched row in column 36. Try starting with
VBA Code:
    Dim rowMatch As Long
    rowMatch= Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Pipe, SheetName.Range("A:A"), 0)
    SheetName.Cells(rowMatch, 36).Value = "... equation here ..." 'column 36 = column AJ

Yes that is exactly what I need, I just had no idea how to change the formula which seemed straight forward in Excel over to VBA code.
Thank you very much for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back