VBA Loop Issue

sdrowsick

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello! I'm new here, so please let me know how I can best improve for future posts...

My question is about a VBA loop in a file. I am trying to create a program that takes all the cells in a range (the range is a dynamic named range, but for this example, it's 269 rows and 37 columns), checks if each cells ends in "0" and, if the cell does end in "0", it deletes that cell and shifts the cells up. This will cut down the number of cells in the range significantly, making the next part of my program easier in terms of processing.

The VBA I have is as follows (note: "all_ids_A" is the name of the range):

VBA Code:
Sub BlankDeleter()

'Declare and set variables
Dim rng As Range
Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Store-Item ID (A) Creation")
Set rng = Range("all_ids_A")

'For loop
For Each cell In rng
    If ValueRight(cell, 1) = 0 Then
    cell.Delete shift:=xlUp
    End If
Next cell

End Sub

The code runs, and I get a result that is not what is intended. Of the resulting cells, a plurality of them still end in "0". My initial thoughts are that the code was skipping over cells when the up-shift occurs. My other thought was that the zero in my if-statement needs to be in quotes, as it may be evaluating text against a number. I don't want to get too far down the rabbit hole, though, and I wanted to ask the experts!

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Welcome to the Board!

Things get very tricky when ever you are deleting cells that you are looping through. To ensure that you are not missing any cells,, you must loop through your range backwards.
(Think about it: If you have three cells, and the first two are blank, when you delete the first one, the second one moves up to the first slot, but on the second loop, you are now looking in the second slot, not the first, so the one that moved up gets missed).

If it is a single column, it is pretty easy. You just start at the bottom, and work your way up.
If it is multiple columns, you will need to work your way across, starting at the bottom row of each column, and work your way up.

Upvote 0
@frenkc1 Along with Joe's comment if the ValueRight function returns a 0 for an empty cell, you could end up in a permanent loop.

Upvote 0
Things get very tricky when ever you are deleting cells that you are looping through. To ensure that you are not missing any cells,, you must loop through your range backwards.

in regards to this type of problem is there a way you can delete the cells without shifting and then filter out the blanks as opposed to the entire row being filtered?
otherwise i would handle it by loading an array that ignores the if statement cells and then replacing the data with the array (its faster)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back